While in the care of The Aircraft Restoration Company, the Spitfire was completely de-rivitted and re-skinned and was treated to a repaint which returned the plane to its appearance when it served in the RAF’s 16th Squadron in 1945.
Spitfire PR Mk.XIX PS853 (registered G-RRGN) is owned and operated by Rolls-Royce, plc. PS853 was one of 79 Mk XIXs built at Supermarine’s factory in Southampton, England. In January 1945, it was delivered to the Central Photographic Reconnaissance Unit at RAF Benson, Oxfordshire before being transferred to the 2nd TAF’s 34 Wing and 16 Squadron RAF at Melbroek, and later Eindhoven, in Holland. With the code “C” it flew some nine operations against German V-weapon sites. In September 1945, PS853 was transferred to 268 Squadron RAF and with the end of the war returned to the UK and 29 MU at High Ercall. In July of 1957, PS853 participated in the inaugural “Royal Air Force Battle of Britain Flight”, now called the “Battle of Britain Memorial Flight.” The aircraft was acquired by Rolls-Royce, plc. in the mid-1990s and is part of the aerospace company’s permanent collection of historical aircraft.