For the first time in 17 years the Commemorative Air Force Dixie Wing’s P-63 Kingcobra was towed out of the hangar.
Throughout its life, The Dixie Wing’s P-63 has served many different roles, from test aircraft to air show performer. It was built in the winter of 1944, bearing the Bell construction number 33-11, for model 33, aircraft 11. It rolled out of the Bell plant in Niagara Falls on 24 February 1944, where it was formally accepted by the United States Army Air Force as a P-63A-6 and given serial number 42-68941.
The CAF Dixie Wing decided to adopt the P-63, and the aircraft was trucked from Missouri to Georgia in the December of 1996. Here it has remained, with serious restoration work begun in 1999 and continuing through today.As we have previously reported here the restoration of this rare aircraft is proceed very fast. In fact the folks at the Dixie Wing forecast to have “her” in the air by next summer.
For more pictures of the restoration click HERE
Be the first to comment
Graphic Design, Branding and Aviation Art