Royal Air Force Museum London is offering opportunities for an up-close view of two classic Cold War aircraft in their collection, an Avro Vulcan and a McDonnell Douglas Phantom II. These ticketed events, priced at £50, take place twice each month for most of 2023. Participants will be allowed to walk all around these iconic aircraft and then climb aboard for a closer look from the pilot’s seat – gaining a personal perspective for what it might have been like to fly and fight from such a historic platform. To learn more, please read the RAF Museum’s description below…
The Vulcan and Cold War Experience
Ticket holders will have the exclusive chance to explore two of the Cold War’s most iconic aircraft – the Avro Vulcan B.2 and McDonnell Douglas Phantom FGR.2 – which, between them, tell a story of uncertainty and tension that loomed over the world for decades. You will gain special access to both of these mighty warriors, which also allows you to climb aboard and sit in the Vulcan’s cockpit and the pilot’s seat of the Phantom. This is a rare opportunity to experience what it was like to fly these great aircraft.
Ticket holders for the experience will also be given a full behind the barriers ground tour, with the chance to get up and close to other significant Cold War aircraft, including the BAC Lightning F.6, the Handley Page Victor K.2, and the English Electric Canberra PR.3. You will hear fascinating, real-life stories of the people who flew these aircraft types.
The Vulcan and Cold War Experience runs on selected dates throughout the year on the middle Wednesday and last Tuesday of every month at the RAF Museum in London. Time slots are available from 10.30am to 2.00pm; one person per session.
Please arrive at the Museum 15 minutes before your chosen time; this will give you time to make your way to the Vulcan located in the far corner of Hangar 5. Our team of Aircraft Access Volunteers will then take you through your experience. Each session will last around one hour and fifteen minutes. Please ensure that you have read our access terms and conditions further below before booking.
The dates for this experience in 2023 are:
- 31 January
- 8 and 28 February
- 8 and 28 March
- 12 and 25 April
- 10 and 30 May
- 14 and 27 June
- 5 and 25 July
- 9 and 29 August
- 13 and 26 September
- 11 and 31 October
- 8 and 28 November
New for the Vulcan and Cold War Challenge, you can also get the opportunity of purchasing a ticket as a gift voucher. The perfect present for a loved one, family member or friend. Just click on the ‘book now’ button below and fill out the information to have an e-voucher code sent to your email.
Access Terms & Conditions for The Vulcan and Cold War Experience:
- For the Vulcan, you must be physically fit to climb two ladders, pulling your body weight up them. There is a narrow gap between the pilot’s seat which some visitors may not be able to access.
- The Phantom requires you to climb a number of steps and to climb over the side of the aircraft; you must be able to support your own body weight when climbing in and out.
- You must be over the age of 16 to purchase a ticket and access the cockpits.
- Please wear trousers or shorts. Skirts and dresses may prevent or restrict access.
- Please wear flat shoes which have a good grip. Please note, we cannot allow the public access without appropriate footwear.
- You may take pictures once inside the cockpits – please come with a camera that can be zipped into a pocket or a camera with a strap.
- If your Aircraft Access Volunteer feels it is not safe or possible for you to access the cockpits of either the Phantom or the Vulcan, then we reserve the right to refuse access.
- Please arrive for your access slot on time, if you are running late and miss your booked time, then the Museum reserves the right to refuse access.
- The Museum does not offer refunds for missed bookings or ‘no shows’
- Each experience ticket, and subsequent session booked, is only valid for one person. If you wish to book more than one ticket, we would recommend booking two consecutive sessions.