Built in 1944, the aircraft, C-547/HB-RBI, was one of 150 of these Hispano-Suiza 12Y-powered, twin-tailed machines to be built during the war years by Dornier-Werke and EKW. These planes remained in frontline service until 1952, despite their obsolescence and during the late 1960s, 23 stored aircraft were uprated with Lycoming T53 turbine engines fitted into a greatly lengthened nose assembly for target-towing duties, the radically altered planes being re-designated as the F+W C-3605 Schlepp.
In 1987, 18 examples of the Schlepp were auctioned off with several going on to be used for air show work. At that auction Max Datwyler AG of Langenthal, Switzerland, purchased C-547. In April 1990 the machine was moved to Dubendorf for conversion back to its original C-3603 configuration, following the lucky acquisition of an original Hispano-Suiza engine which was discovered in a roller-blind factory where it was being used to power a wind machine. Staff from the Ju-Air organisation, which operates three Junkers Ju 52s, put in a total of 3,400 man-hours to complete the task, and C-547 flew again on September 2, 1991. It was demonstrated at air shows in Switzerland for several years until being grounded a decade ago at Bleienbach Airport, in Langenthal.
With the plane in the very capable hands of Meier Motors being restored, it surely once again return to the skies where it truly belongs.