The Mission of the museum is to acquire, collect, restore, maintain, display and fly tactical classic jet aircraft and other aircraft of historic or unique character, and to emphasize the preservation and teaching of the history, maintenance, fabrication, and flying skills of these aircraft. World Heritage Air Museum will preserve these aircraft in flying condition whenever possible so as to allow the public the benefit of seeing these aircraft in flight. World Heritage Air Museum will also promote, attend, sponsor and host air shows, fly-ins and air racing.WHAM will regularly fly these aircraft and seek to build a museum at the airport that will become a prominent tourist draw. WHAM plans to have annual fundraising dinners, and local airshows. WHAM will also seek both donations and volunteers to promote both its mission and the renaissance of Detroit City Airport.
About Classic Fighters of America
For almost 100 years and the advent of flight, man has sought to develop an aircraft that could be both offensive and defensive, and thus allow airborne supremacy. From the early 1900’s until after World War II, these aircraft were referred to as “Pursuit” types, and shared a “P” in their designations. Examples were the P-40 Tomahawk, the P-38 Lightning and the P-51 Mustang. After that war and the formation of the U.S. Air Force as a branch separate from the U.S. Army, the designations of these types were changed to “Fighters” having an “F” prefix. Examples are the F-84 and the F-86. Classic Fighters of America focuses almost entirely on Pursuit/Fighter aircraft employed by the U.S. forces in the past.
The Planes of Fame Air Museum was founded in 1957 by Edward Maloney. It is the oldest independently operated aviation museum in the United States.
The museum collection spans the history of manned flight. We house over 150 Aircraft and displays. Many of the Aircraft are flyable, including the P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-40 Warhawk, B-25 Mitchell, P-38 Lightning, F-86 Sabre & Russian Mig 15.
Our Mission is to preserve aviation history, inspire interest in aviation, educate the public, and honor aviation pioneers and veterans.
We are a non profit 501 (c)(3) organization that has grown since 1957 through donations. We receive no monies from the government. For more info please visit: http://www.planesoffame.org
Planes of Fame Air Museum
7000 Merrill Avenue #17, Chino, CA 91710
Tel – 909-597-3722
Fax – 909-597-4755
In addition to the rare flying WWII and Korea warplanes on display at the impressive hangar of the Dixie Wing, there is a room dedicated to the display of artifacts and memorabilia of the Wars of the U.S. in the last century. On display at various points in the museum are mannequins wearing authentic uniforms of WWII. One cabinet displays WWI articles.
Several cabinets display finely crafted plastic models of Allied and Axis warplanes of the last century. This collection was crafted by the late James McConnell of Big Canoe, GA and donated to the Wing by his widow, Betty. A large collection of WWII toys is on display donated by Mr. Richard McNary. During the war, little or no metal was available for toys, so manufacturers used wood, cardboard and even plaster of paris to make these toys.
The centerpiece of the Museum is a 10 foot model of the “USS Enterprise” (CVA-6), the most decorated US warship of WWII and veteran of all but 2 major battles. It is displayed with scale models of U.S. carrier aircraft of WWII.
Various cabinets contain weapons and gear of American, British, French, Russian, German, Italian, and Japanese military services.
A large model of the “USS Missouri” battleship is displayed along with a freighter, the “Aldebarau”. Above these is a very large model of the CAF B-17 “Texas Raider”.
Aviation art by Col Mark Baldwin is displayed on the walls of the Museum along with newspapers of WWII and military insignias.
Sevearl aircraft engines are displayed including a Fairchild “Ranger”, an Allison V-12, a Rolls Royce “Merlin” V-12, a rare Guiberson diesel radial engine and the large Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp R-2800 used on the F4U Corsair fighter-bomber
The museum items supplement the stars of the Dixie Wing Hangar. These fully operational airplanes include the Douglas SBD-5 “Dauntless” divebomber, the North American P-51 D “Mustang” fighter, the Goodyear FG-1D Corsair fighter, the North American LT-6D “Mosquito” spotter attack aircraft, the Fiarchild PT-19A primary trainer, the Aeronca L-16 liason and spotter aircraft, a North American SNJ advanced trainer and two replica Japanese aircraft: the “Zero” fighter and the “Kate” torpedo bomber, these last two built for the movie “Tora, Tora, Tora!”
Museum curators are Col Mark Baldwin and Col Walt Cantrell. The Dixie Wing and the Commemorative Air Force is a 501-c3 tax exempt organization. The museum is staffed by volunteers and supported mainly by donations.
North American B-25J-25-NC, serial number 44-30733, nicknamed “Sandbar Mitchell” after it crashed on a Tanana River sandbar near Fairbanks, Alaska in June of 1969. With the help of skilled volunteers this B-25J will once again grace the skies over America in honor of the 340th Bomb Group. After spending 44 years resting on the Tanana River Sandbar, Sandbar Mitchell was recovered on July 5, 2013. She is now being restored in the Warbirds Of Glory Museum shop in Michigan.
The Museum of Mountain Flying\’s motto is to preserve the legends, lore, and historical legacy of the planes, pilots and individuals who pioneered one of the most dangerous and adventurous forms of aviation in the Rocky Mountain West. Our goal is to preserve this history for future generations through preservation and restoration of aircraft and artifacts that showcase this era and through those efforts be able to educate our visitors about a time when a pilot\’s motto was “Fly the Biggest Piece Back.”
Membership in the Cincinnati Warbirds EAA Squadron 18 is open to anyone with an interest in military aviation. The club organizes and sponsors numerous events including rides in historic warbirds, trips to airshows and museums, warbird restoration projects and other social functions of interest to warbird lovers. We meet on the first Thursday evening of the month for dinner and a meeting. Meetings often include interesting lectures by military pilots, veterans, flight instructors, or other notable authorities in the field of aviation. Dues are currently $25/year.The Warbirds normally meet in the Cincinnati Airman\’s club, located on the second floor of the old terminal building at Lunken Airport, or at the Tri-State Warbird Museum in Batavia, OH.
The purposes for which the Commemorative Air Force is organized are patriotic, educational, and civic, and shall include:To acquire, restore, and preserve in flying condition a complete collection of combat aircraft which were flown by all military services of the United States, and selected aircraft of other nations, for the education and enjoyment of present and future generations of Americans.To construct or obtain museum buildings for the permanent protection, maintenance, and display of these historic aircraft, period artifacts, and documents as a tribute to the thousands of men and women who built, serviced, and flew them and to build and organize the \”Combat Airman Hall of Fame.\”To perpetuate the spirit in which such combat aircraft were flown in the defense of our nation, in the memory and hearts of all Americans. To establish an organization having the dedication, enthusiasm, and esprit de corps necessary to operate, maintain, and preserve these aircraft as symbols of our American military aviation heritage. To receive gifts, legacies, and grants of money and property of every kind and to administer the same for the purposes herein stated, and to do anything necessary or proper for the accomplishment of these purposes; to lease, purchase, hold, have, use, and take possession of and enjoy fee simple or otherwise any personal and real property necessary for the uses and purposes of the corporations; and to sell, lease, alienate, or dispose of the same at the pleasure of the corporation and for the uses and purposes for which said corporation is formed; and to buy and sell real or personal property and to apply the proceeds of sale, including any and all income, to the uses and purposes of the corporation.
During WWII, the 4146 Base Unit was involved in secret rocket development at what was then known as Dover Army Airfield. The building complex where these military secret operations took place was Hangar 1301. From the 1950s to the 1970s, various fighter squadrons called the hangar home. In the 1990s after restoration and placement on the National Register of Historic Places, Hangar 1301 was given new life as the home of the Air Mobility Command Museum.The Air Mobility Command Museum is a part of the National Museum of the United States Air Force\’s field museum system. Air Mobility Command is a major command of the United States Air Force. Its mission is to deliver maximum war-fighting and humanitarian effects for America through rapid and precise global air mobility.
Our organization was first established in March 1990 as a Detachment of the Combat Air Museum of Topeka, Kansas. We began with 15 members, 1 display case and a small office at the Augusta Municipal Airport.Named as Combat Air Museum Det 1 we moved into an empty industrial building at 1304 Money Street in 1991. The organization was incorporated by the State of Kansas in May of 1992 and received our federal recognition by the Internal Revenue Service as a scientific and educational museum that fall. Soon after CAM Det 1 parted with Combat Air Museum and became the Augusta Air Museum. An offer to purchase our 16,500 sq ft present location for 1 dollar was accepted by the Williams Pipeline Company of Tulsa, Oklahoma on December 17, 1993.As the museum grew over the years so did our military donations. In fact, so much more than aviation donations that our board, in 2007, elected to change the museum\’s name to the Kansas Museum of Military History in order to better reflect the collections and exhibits.
The Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles (HMMV) is a non-profit organization run by volunteers and funded by donations and grants.The museum has about 100 vehicles including helicopters, tanks, halftracks, ambulances, and a jeep from every branch of the service plus displays of weapons, uniforms, engines, equipment, and more. The everyday necessities of a soldier\’s life, such as MREs, blend with unique vehicles like those used by the German army in World War II.This hands-on museum invites you to see, touch, and even sit in vehicles that have been restored and, for the most part, are operational. Vehicles date from World War II but displays include items from World War I as well.
The Highland Lakes Squadron museum welcomes you to visit our collection of authentic WWII artifacts as well as our “working” aircraft hangar where we bring WWII aircraft back to life. Specific exhibits include a turret from a B-24 bomber, a cutaway radial engine of the type used in the AT-6/SNJ, a WW-II machine for making dog tags, a WW-II instrument flying trainer (Link Trainer), and an air-to-air missile. Guns from United States, Germany and Japan, knives and bayonets, various home front items, newspapers, uniforms, helmets, aircraft and ship models are on display. Our museum emphasizes the contributions of the common soldier, seaman, and airman. All artifacts in our museum have been donated, principally by local residents or people having contact with local residents.Flying aircraft in our hangar include our 1944-model C-47 \”Bluebonnet Belle\”, 1944-model SNJ T6 Texan, 1939-model PT-19, and 1946 L-17 Navion. You are welcome to take a guided tour of each of these aircraft.We are an all-volunteer non-profit unit of the Commemorative Air Force and we do ask for a small admission into the museum.
The Alfred & Lois Kelch Aviation Museum, Inc. is located at the Brodhead Airport (C37), near Brodhead, Wisconsin. Housed in four hangars, the museum contains a unique collection of aircraft and automobiles from the 1920’s and 1930’s, many of which are one-of-a-kind or sole surviving examples. All of the aircraft are fully restored and most are flyable.
The Delaware Aviation Museum at Sussex County Airport features many World War II aviation artifacts, memorabilia and displays. The museum is also home of the Jeffrey L. Ethell Memorial Aviation Library of over 3,000 aviation related books: the largest aviation library in the east. Vintage aircraft are also on display.
The Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum in Coffeyville, Kansas is housed in the only hanger remaining from the Pfister Park Airport, that was in operation from 1933 until 1960. The original runways and hanger were a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project. When the airport was discontinued, the land reverted into Coffeyville\’s Pfister Park and there are no runways there today.Open weekends, or by appointment, the Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum has various aircraft exhibits, but the truely unique exhibit is the memorabilia about the Funk Airplanes which were designed by Joe and Howard Funk.The Funk\’s Akron Aircraft Company was originally located in Akron, Ohio, but following bankruptcy in 1940, they were bailed out by Bill and Raymond Jensen of Coffeyville and the manufacturing was relocated to Kansas. The renamed Funk Aircraft Company operated in Coffeyville from 1941 through 1942 and again from 1945 through 1947, producing a total of 232 aircraft, before the post war aircraft production bubble burst.Including the production in Akron, over 300 Funk airplanes were produced and about 200 still fly. Many of the remaining Funk airplanes are flown to an annual reunion of the Funk Aircraft Owners Association in Coffeyville each September.
The Pioneer Village complex comprises 28 buildings on 20 acres housing over 50,000 irreplaceable items of historical value, restored to operating order, arranged in groups and also in the chronological order of their development. There are 12 historic buildings around the circular \”green\”. There\’s a Frontier Fort, a real honest-to-goodness Pony Express Station, an Iron Horse, and a home made of sod. There\’s a general store and a toy store, chock full of all the goods from yesteryear. An original art collection including 25 Currier and Ives prints, 23 Jackson paintings, and the largest single collection of Rogers statues. You can see a priceless steam carousel, 17 historic flying machines and marvel at 100 antique tractors. See the world\’s oldest Buick, a 1902 Cadillac and a 1903 Ford, both designed by Henry Ford, plus 350 other antique cars, all displayed in their order of development.
The OAHS was originally incorporated in 1985 and over the years has gone through a couple of name changes. We’ve been known as the Oregon Aviation Museum, the Oregon Aviation and Space Museum, and the Oregon Aviation Historical Society. By any name, our mission is the same: to collect, preserve, and restore Oregon related aviation artifacts for interpretive and educational display to insure the preservation of Oregon’s rich aviation heritage for future generations. Our facility is located at 2475 Jim Wright Way, Cottage Grove, Oregon.