The Museum of Mountain Flying\’s motto is to preserve the legends, lore, and historical legacy of the planes, pilots and individuals who pioneered one of the most dangerous and adventurous forms of aviation in the Rocky Mountain West. Our goal is to preserve this history for future generations through preservation and restoration of aircraft and artifacts that showcase this era and through those efforts be able to educate our visitors about a time when a pilot\’s motto was “Fly the Biggest Piece Back.”
The Planes of Fame Air Museum was founded in 1957 by Edward Maloney. It is the oldest independently operated aviation museum in the United States.
The museum collection spans the history of manned flight. We house over 150 Aircraft and displays. Many of the Aircraft are flyable, including the P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-40 Warhawk, B-25 Mitchell, P-38 Lightning, F-86 Sabre & Russian Mig 15.
Our Mission is to preserve aviation history, inspire interest in aviation, educate the public, and honor aviation pioneers and veterans.
We are a non profit 501 (c)(3) organization that has grown since 1957 through donations. We receive no monies from the government. For more info please visit: http://www.planesoffame.org
Planes of Fame Air Museum
7000 Merrill Avenue #17, Chino, CA 91710
Tel – 909-597-3722
Fax – 909-597-4755
In addition to the rare flying WWII and Korea warplanes on display at the impressive hangar of the Dixie Wing, there is a room dedicated to the display of artifacts and memorabilia of the Wars of the U.S. in the last century. On display at various points in the museum are mannequins wearing authentic uniforms of WWII. One cabinet displays WWI articles.
Several cabinets display finely crafted plastic models of Allied and Axis warplanes of the last century. This collection was crafted by the late James McConnell of Big Canoe, GA and donated to the Wing by his widow, Betty. A large collection of WWII toys is on display donated by Mr. Richard McNary. During the war, little or no metal was available for toys, so manufacturers used wood, cardboard and even plaster of paris to make these toys.
The centerpiece of the Museum is a 10 foot model of the “USS Enterprise” (CVA-6), the most decorated US warship of WWII and veteran of all but 2 major battles. It is displayed with scale models of U.S. carrier aircraft of WWII.
Various cabinets contain weapons and gear of American, British, French, Russian, German, Italian, and Japanese military services.
A large model of the “USS Missouri” battleship is displayed along with a freighter, the “Aldebarau”. Above these is a very large model of the CAF B-17 “Texas Raider”.
Aviation art by Col Mark Baldwin is displayed on the walls of the Museum along with newspapers of WWII and military insignias.
Sevearl aircraft engines are displayed including a Fairchild “Ranger”, an Allison V-12, a Rolls Royce “Merlin” V-12, a rare Guiberson diesel radial engine and the large Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp R-2800 used on the F4U Corsair fighter-bomber
The museum items supplement the stars of the Dixie Wing Hangar. These fully operational airplanes include the Douglas SBD-5 “Dauntless” divebomber, the North American P-51 D “Mustang” fighter, the Goodyear FG-1D Corsair fighter, the North American LT-6D “Mosquito” spotter attack aircraft, the Fiarchild PT-19A primary trainer, the Aeronca L-16 liason and spotter aircraft, a North American SNJ advanced trainer and two replica Japanese aircraft: the “Zero” fighter and the “Kate” torpedo bomber, these last two built for the movie “Tora, Tora, Tora!”
Museum curators are Col Mark Baldwin and Col Walt Cantrell. The Dixie Wing and the Commemorative Air Force is a 501-c3 tax exempt organization. The museum is staffed by volunteers and supported mainly by donations.
About Classic Fighters of America
For almost 100 years and the advent of flight, man has sought to develop an aircraft that could be both offensive and defensive, and thus allow airborne supremacy. From the early 1900’s until after World War II, these aircraft were referred to as “Pursuit” types, and shared a “P” in their designations. Examples were the P-40 Tomahawk, the P-38 Lightning and the P-51 Mustang. After that war and the formation of the U.S. Air Force as a branch separate from the U.S. Army, the designations of these types were changed to “Fighters” having an “F” prefix. Examples are the F-84 and the F-86. Classic Fighters of America focuses almost entirely on Pursuit/Fighter aircraft employed by the U.S. forces in the past.
North American B-25J-25-NC, serial number 44-30733, nicknamed “Sandbar Mitchell” after it crashed on a Tanana River sandbar near Fairbanks, Alaska in June of 1969. With the help of skilled volunteers this B-25J will once again grace the skies over America in honor of the 340th Bomb Group. After spending 44 years resting on the Tanana River Sandbar, Sandbar Mitchell was recovered on July 5, 2013. She is now being restored in the Warbirds Of Glory Museum shop in Michigan.
This airport-museum-restaurant-in-one allows visitors to see and learn more about historic aircraft, take touring flights over the scenic mountains with experienced pilots and dine in comfort.
Hundreds of rare aviation items and artifacts are on display in the Spirit of Flight Hall of Honor representing the past, present and future of flight.
Our mission is to save and display aircraft and flight memorabilia to honor all veterans, and to educate the general public on the significance of aviation and aviation history.
The Skagit Aero Education Museum allows people with a passion for flying a place to immerse themselves in general aviation. Located in an incredible natural setting, the museum provides experiential opportunities for pilots and enthusiasts young and old who have the desire to be surrounded by airplanes and flying. The museum is dedicated to preserving and sharing the personal light aircraft that have trained and served generations of pilots, forming the backbone of general aviation for more than 80 years.We are located in Concrete, Washington. Set deep in the Cascade mountains, the museum is surrounded by beautiful scenery and includes more than 30 aircraft. Our collection includes classics from the 1930s and 1940s and aircraft from the post war boom in aviation.The museum includes complete restoration facilities and several active restorations are currently underway. We are open to visitors on most days, though calling in advance is recommended.
The Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum in Coffeyville, Kansas is housed in the only hanger remaining from the Pfister Park Airport, that was in operation from 1933 until 1960. The original runways and hanger were a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project. When the airport was discontinued, the land reverted into Coffeyville\’s Pfister Park and there are no runways there today.Open weekends, or by appointment, the Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum has various aircraft exhibits, but the truely unique exhibit is the memorabilia about the Funk Airplanes which were designed by Joe and Howard Funk.The Funk\’s Akron Aircraft Company was originally located in Akron, Ohio, but following bankruptcy in 1940, they were bailed out by Bill and Raymond Jensen of Coffeyville and the manufacturing was relocated to Kansas. The renamed Funk Aircraft Company operated in Coffeyville from 1941 through 1942 and again from 1945 through 1947, producing a total of 232 aircraft, before the post war aircraft production bubble burst.Including the production in Akron, over 300 Funk airplanes were produced and about 200 still fly. Many of the remaining Funk airplanes are flown to an annual reunion of the Funk Aircraft Owners Association in Coffeyville each September.
The Air Force Armament Museum is the only museum in the world dedicated to the collection, preservation and exhibition of artifacts and memorabilia associated with Air Force Armament and its platforms of delivery.The museum was conceived and approved in 1974 but there was no suitable structure available on Eglin Air Force Base until 1976. In the spring of that year, an old Enlisted Club facility became available and the Armament Museum became a reality. To help fund and perpetuate this Museum, the Air Force Armament Museum Foundation (AFAMF), a philanthropic non-profit organization, was established.From 1976 through 1981, the artifact collection grew, and the Museum averaged nearly 80,000 visitors per year. But, in 1981, the building housing the Museum collection was condemned, and the Museum closed that October.The AFAM Foundation then began what became a lengthy effort to find a new home for the Armament Museum. After a slow start, funding effort began in 1984. By mid-1985, $1.2 million in private and corporate donations had been raised and construction of a new 28,000 square foot Museum was underway and in November of the same year, the new Museum was deeded to the United States Air Force and opened to the public.Admittance to the Museum is free of charge and the Museum is closed on Sundays and federal holidays. Over one million people have now visited and enjoyed this Museum. Numerous significant, military-related ceremonies such as promotions, reenlistments, retirements and meetings occur within the Museum each month. Visits by school, church and veterans groups are now almost daily occurrences and the Armament Museum has become an important educational, cultural and social landmark.
Willow Run Airport was built by the Ford Motor Company in 1941 to serve as an airfield for their B-24 Bomber Plant. This was the first aircraft manufacturing plant to use Ford\’s automotive mass production techniques, a leading technological innovation of the time. Ford Motor Company built 8,685 B-24s from 1942 until the end of World War II. At its peak, the Willow Run plant employed over 42,000 people and produced one B-24 every 59 minutes. The last bomber to roll off the assembly line was named the \”Henry Ford.\” When the war was over the airport became the hub for passenger flights and air freight in the Detroit Metropolitan area.In 1981, a group of enthusiastic people, adopting the name Yankee Air Force, shared the desire to preserve the facts and glamour of southeastern Michigan\’s aviation history. They began to lay plans to research, restore, and preserve the all but forgotten history of Willow Run Airport. Their initial goal was to aquire one of the original U.S. Army Air Forces hangars and restore it to its original condition. With the help of Wayne County, the owners of the airport, this first goal was accomplished and the Yankee Air Museum was born. The YAM now has two divisions, the Wurtsmith Division in Michigan and the Northeast Division in New Jersey.Their second goal, to obtain a B-24 built at Willow Run, has proven to be a much tougher project. Over 18.000 Liberators were built and just 11 survive today, of which only 4 were built at Willow Run. In 1987, a PB4Y-2 Privateer, the Navy\’s single-tailed version of the B-24, was donated to the Museum for static display.Since 1981 the Yankee Air Museum has acquired and returned to flying status five World War II aircraft. The first plane was acquired in 1981, a Douglas C-47 World War II transport which was built in 1945. The \”Yankee Doodle Dandy\” is the YAM\’s world class award-winning flagship. The B-17G \”Flying Fortress\” which was used in the movie \”Tora!Tora!Tora!\” was purchased in 1986. The \”Yankee Lady\” underwent extensive restoration and was returned to flying status in 1995. The B-25D \”Mitchell\”, a medium-duty bomber similar to the type used in Jimmy Doolittle\’s raid on Tokyo, was acquired in 1987. The \”Yankee Warrior\” saw combat in World War II and is one of only two B-25Ds still flying today.These aircraft are flown and displayed at numerous air shows from May through September. They are the pride of the Yankee Air Museum.On October 9, 2004, the Yankee Air Museum at Willow Run Airport suffered a terrible fire that destroyed the historic hangar housing the museum. Through the heroic efforts of a few members, the beautifully restored B-17, C-47 and B-25 aircraft were moved out of the building before the fire reached them, thus saving the heart of the collection. In addition, all the historic aircraft on display outside of the main building were untouched by the fire. The museum did, however, lose virtually all of the tooling, equipment and spare parts for all of the aircraft plus all of the office and display fixtures and equipment totaling well over $1,000,000 in replacement value. While thousands of irreplaceable artifacts, photos and books were also lost in the fire, the Volunteers at the museum are thankful that the aircraft collection remains largely intact. Only a small number of non-flyable aircraft that were in restoration inside the hanger were lost.The Yankee Air Museum members, staff and volunteers immediately began to recover and rebuild. The aircraft, which continued their flight schedules after the fire, were moved into a hangar loaned by the Wayne County Airport Authority that manages Willow Run Airport. The volunteers and staff set up an office at the Airport and continued the operation of the Museum. Their mission was to continue the great work that was begun in 1981 by a small group of visionaries who were dedicated to preserving this important piece of aviation and Southeastern Michigan history.The Michigan Aerospace Foundation (MAF) was formed as a sister organization of the Yankee Air Museum to plan and fund future expansion of the new Museum facilities. They met with architects and Willow Run Airport management just a few days after the fire and were given the go ahead to begin the planning process to lead to the construction of a new hangar and Museum.Then in 2007, the hard work, dedication, planning and fund raising for the new Yankee Air Museum began to bear fruit. A ground breaking ceremony for the new Yankee Air Museum was held in April 2007 at the Air Park. A schoolhouse that was built by Henry Ford in 1938 and used during WW2 as an officer\’s club had been donated to the Museum. Shortly after the ground breaking, it was moved to its new location on A Street on the east side of the Airport. After much work, the Yankee Air Museum David and Andrea Robertson Education Center was dedicated and opened for business in June 2010. The Education Center is used for a variety of education activities including Scouting programs and Summer Camp.In 2009, to re-establish the actual Museum that was lost in 2004, the Yankee Air Museum purchased a building from the Michigan Institute of Aviation and Technology (MIAT). The building is on D Street on the east side of the Airport and south of the Education Center. In October 2010, six years to the day of the fire, The Yankee Air Museum Collections & Exhibits Building was dedicated and opened to the public. The new facility is 47,000 sq. ft. and houses permanent and rotating aviation and historical displays, restoration projects, a retail store and a movie theatre that is available to the public. The \”Headquarters\” is also home to Yankee Air Museum staff and volunteers and has meeting rooms and banquet facilities for rent, machine shops and storage space for the Museum collection. An outside area next to the Museum is the new home of the Air Park.We are now working on raising the funds and doing the planning for a new home for our flyable aircraft. The new hangar for the B-17 \”Yankee Lady\”, B-25 \”Yankee Warrior\” and C-47 \”Yankee Doodle Dandy\” will be built at the corner of A Street and 3rd Street, adjoining both the Education Center and the new Collections & Exhibits building. A design for the hangar has been selected and we are currently in negotiation with the Airport and various local government authorities regarding site work. The goal is to break ground for the new hangar in 2013.For now, our new Museum and our Education programs are available for the public to experience and enjoy. We make our flyable aircraft available so people can re-live an important part of American and Michigan history. Our THUNDER OVER MICHIGANTM Air Show is one of the premier annual aviation events in the country. The Yankee Air Museum continues in its mission of \”Honoring aviation history and its participants through a living, flying museum.\” Come see us and join the excitement!
In the late 1990’s, a group of local military folks, agriculture pilots and international Warbird restorers were at the Fargo AirSho. After the show they realized there was a wealth of historic aircraft, knowledge and a passion for aviation, education and restoration. These folks included the late Gerry Beck, Robert Odegaard, Robert Miller, Darrol Schroeder, Alex Macdonald, Matt Butler, the late Warren Diederich and a few others. The founders developed the mission statement, developed a three-building long term plan and opened the museum’s first hangar in 2001. In 2008, the organization retired the debt on the first building and plans are now in play to build the next two buildings.
The Historical Aircraft Squadron, Inc. is an all- volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to the restoration, display and operation of former military aircraft and related equipment in our hangar/ museum located at the Fairfield County Airport. The squadron was formed in 1994 by a small group of individuals who shared this common interest. Membership has grown and we currently have members representing a wide variety of ages, interests, talents and volunteer skills. Members and visitors are encouraged to participate in activities and events as well as to just stop by to \”hang around\” to enjoy the atmosphere of the aircraft and museum displays. We are a work in progress so there is always something new to experience.The Squadron\’s restoration hangar has been completed and is the centerpiece of our future plans. The hangar is the focal point of the Squadron\’s activities and is located north of Lancaster at the Fairfield County Airport (LHQ) on the east side of Route 33. Additional buildings are planned to house the museum, completed aircraft restoration projects and static aircraft displays, military vehicles and museum memorabilia.HAS is involved in many activities including the WINGS OF VICTORY AIRSHOW, museum and library development, attending airshows and other events with the PX, field trips and regular monthly meetings.
Hangar 25 Air Museum is housed in a fully restored WWII era hangar. The mission of Hangar 25 Air Museum is to promote education through the collection, preservation and exhibition of the history of the Big Spring Army Air Force Bombardier School and Webb Air Force Base while honoring all veterans, past and present. Often our museum is staffed by retired veterans and civil service employees who are ready to share their memories of the hangar when it was a hub of activity, first, during WWII as a part of the Big Spring Bombardier School and later as a part of Webb Air Force Base, supporting the training of over 10,000 pilots from 1952 to 1977.Today, Hangar 25 Air Museum is very much a Big Spring, Texas community icon, focused on displaying the proud heritage of a great city and educating our fellow citizens of all ages, on the military traditions that have been such an important part of local history. We encourage anyone with a connection to Big Spring, Texas, or Big Spring AAF Bombardier School or Webb Air Force Base to visit and experience for yourself, the history, heritage, and the honor that is Hangar 25 Air Museum. Incidentally, since opening our doors in May of 1999, Hangar 25 Air Museum has hosted more than 41,000 visitors from all 50 states and over 30 foreign countries.
Liberty Aviation Museum is a newer museum that opened in July of 2012 at the Erie-Ottawa International Airport (KPCW Carl Keller Field) in Port Clinton, Ohio. Our museum consists our B-25 Mitchell, WWII bomber “Georgie’s Gal” built in 1945, recently restored by Aero Trader out of Chino, CA. (The B-25 Mitchell is currently away from the museum until late July 2015) Ground vehicles include a 1941 Dodge ambulance, 2 Jeeps, German 37mm AA gun, German Horch Truck, German Field Kitchen, German Kubel, 3 BMW Motorcycles, Tiger Tank Replica, Hetzer Tank Replica, Panther Tank Replica (currently undergoing restoration away from the museum), & 2 WWII PT boats under current restoration (Currently not available for public viewing until new hangar expansion opens after Memorial Day. View the PT 728 Thomcat facebook page for photos of the restoration of the boat! The PT-728 will be on display in the new hangar expansion when the building opens after Memorial Day. The sister boat, the PT-724 is in storage currently and not available for viewing) The PT-728 Thomcat will be available for boat experiences after restoration is completed! Don’t forget to check out the Tin Goose Diner attached to the museum! Open year round, open 7 days a week (7am-7pm), serving breakfast, lunch and dinner! You can fly in or drive in to visit us! When flying in, please radio the FBO to verify that our ramp is open for parking. If it isn’t, you can park at the airport and we have a shuttle that will bring you to our facility next door! Ford Tri-Motor rides are available.
From the time man first took flight in the early 1900s to the recent shuttle missions into space, South Central Kentucky has played a significant role in the history of aviation. One of the first pilots to fly in combat claimed ties to Bowling Green, as did a World War I flying ace, a pioneer instructor pilot, a Vietnam war hero, Commanders of the famed Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels, the Commander/Pilot of “Marine One”, the presidential helicopter unit and the Mission Commander for the space shuttle Atlantis. These aviators – and their ties to South Central Kentucky – deserve to be recognized and celebrated so that future generations might be made aware of and motivated by their extraordinary achievements. This is the mission of Aviation Heritage Park.
Pappy Boyington Field Museum is dedicated to preserving local aviation histoy and the efforts of veterans and aviators who have sacrificed and contributed to preserving the integrity and peace to which the United States has been graced.
Pappy Boyington Field Museum preserves the military and aviation history of area residents. We are a federal and Idaho 501(c)3 charitable non-profit, and donations are tax deductible. We are looking for military scrapbooks and stories of local veterans. We also pay particular honor to locally born and raised WW2 Ace Greg “Pappy” Boyington.
The Dyess Linear Air Park originated from the Texas Museum of Military History, which was founded in 1981. The park was officially dedicated June 12, 1991, by Lt. Gen. Robert D. Beckel, commander, 15th Air Force.There are 32 World War II, Korean Conflict, Vietnam Conflict and two aircraft from Operation Desert Storm on display outdoors. There are no indoor displays at this time.The Linear Air Park is currently closed except for guided tours. To receive a guided tour, call the Dyess Public Affairs office at 696-2863. There is no fee.These aircraft represent the Air Force’s proud and dramatic history. No price value can be placed upon these aircraft, which represent the sacrifices our military made as they fought for the love of country and freedom.Each aircraft on display is assigned a sponsor. These sponsors volunteered countless number of hours restoring and maintaining these aircraft.Color schemes and markings depict the squadron and era in which the aircraft flew. This was done in attempts to display the rich history of that particular make of aircraft, not necessarily the particular aircraft itself.The recently added memorial wall is the latest addition to the air park. It was designed to display historical and heroic actions by USAF units and personnel.
The historic legacy of the Alameda Naval Air Station will be preserved at the Alameda Naval Air Museum located in the former Air Terminal Building #77 at Alameda Point. Our museum features archival materials, photographs and stories of the war workers of World War II up to the eventual closing of the base in 1997.This project was made possible by a grant for building upgrades from the Economic Development Agency and the city of Alameda. To date, some $750,000 worth of improvements have been made to Building #77 to meet all code requirements of the City of Alameda.Volunteers established the Alameda Naval Air Museum as an educational community center to tell the story of it\’s beginnings in support of the Pacific Fleet in World War II and it\’s subsequent decades of service to the nation during Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm.Visitors can read historic newspapers, such as those published at Pearl Harbor, and have an opportunity to re-live the past. That is what history is all about. We are interested in acquiring and preserving documents that illustrate and celebrate the people and stories of the World War II years. Our collection includes artifacts, photographs, aircraft models, programs, guide books, flyers, documents, safety gear, medals, uniforms, badges and awards.The purpose of our museum is to preserve for the benefit and inspiration of future generations and to leave a historic legacy.Society and industry were changed forever by the sweeping impacts of the World War II build-up. For the first time, men, women and minorities worked together side by side. Services such as health insurance and child care were initiated in industry to improve worker\’s health, productivity and retention. Labor and government worked together to provide to the fleet overhauled aircraft and engines achieving unheard of production records.People moved here from all over the country in unprecedented numbers to seek industrial production jobs. This changed rural and urban America forever. The Air Station had 45,000 personnel at its peak in 1945 when the city of Alameda had only 25,000 residents. The base covered one-third of the island of Alameda.The museum volunteers host many visits of school children and other local and national groups so they can learn about Naval Aviation history and the valuable contributions made by the many generations of workers during the last half of the 20th Century. More than 250 skilled trades came together at NAS Alameda to create lasting records of top workmanship and professionalism.