Located at Crève Coeur Airport in St. Louis, Missouri, the museum\’s collection centers around civil aircraft built in between the two World Wars, from 1916 to 1946. Several aircraft in the collection are the only extant models of their class.The museum is open to the public regularly, with scheduled tours and rides available.
In addition to the rare flying WWII and Korea warplanes on display at the impressive hangar of the Dixie Wing, there is a room dedicated to the display of artifacts and memorabilia of the Wars of the U.S. in the last century. On display at various points in the museum are mannequins wearing authentic uniforms of WWII. One cabinet displays WWI articles.
Several cabinets display finely crafted plastic models of Allied and Axis warplanes of the last century. This collection was crafted by the late James McConnell of Big Canoe, GA and donated to the Wing by his widow, Betty. A large collection of WWII toys is on display donated by Mr. Richard McNary. During the war, little or no metal was available for toys, so manufacturers used wood, cardboard and even plaster of paris to make these toys.
The centerpiece of the Museum is a 10 foot model of the “USS Enterprise” (CVA-6), the most decorated US warship of WWII and veteran of all but 2 major battles. It is displayed with scale models of U.S. carrier aircraft of WWII.
Various cabinets contain weapons and gear of American, British, French, Russian, German, Italian, and Japanese military services.
A large model of the “USS Missouri” battleship is displayed along with a freighter, the “Aldebarau”. Above these is a very large model of the CAF B-17 “Texas Raider”.
Aviation art by Col Mark Baldwin is displayed on the walls of the Museum along with newspapers of WWII and military insignias.
Sevearl aircraft engines are displayed including a Fairchild “Ranger”, an Allison V-12, a Rolls Royce “Merlin” V-12, a rare Guiberson diesel radial engine and the large Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp R-2800 used on the F4U Corsair fighter-bomber
The museum items supplement the stars of the Dixie Wing Hangar. These fully operational airplanes include the Douglas SBD-5 “Dauntless” divebomber, the North American P-51 D “Mustang” fighter, the Goodyear FG-1D Corsair fighter, the North American LT-6D “Mosquito” spotter attack aircraft, the Fiarchild PT-19A primary trainer, the Aeronca L-16 liason and spotter aircraft, a North American SNJ advanced trainer and two replica Japanese aircraft: the “Zero” fighter and the “Kate” torpedo bomber, these last two built for the movie “Tora, Tora, Tora!”
Museum curators are Col Mark Baldwin and Col Walt Cantrell. The Dixie Wing and the Commemorative Air Force is a 501-c3 tax exempt organization. The museum is staffed by volunteers and supported mainly by donations.
North American B-25J-25-NC, serial number 44-30733, nicknamed “Sandbar Mitchell” after it crashed on a Tanana River sandbar near Fairbanks, Alaska in June of 1969. With the help of skilled volunteers this B-25J will once again grace the skies over America in honor of the 340th Bomb Group. After spending 44 years resting on the Tanana River Sandbar, Sandbar Mitchell was recovered on July 5, 2013. She is now being restored in the Warbirds Of Glory Museum shop in Michigan.
About Classic Fighters of America
For almost 100 years and the advent of flight, man has sought to develop an aircraft that could be both offensive and defensive, and thus allow airborne supremacy. From the early 1900’s until after World War II, these aircraft were referred to as “Pursuit” types, and shared a “P” in their designations. Examples were the P-40 Tomahawk, the P-38 Lightning and the P-51 Mustang. After that war and the formation of the U.S. Air Force as a branch separate from the U.S. Army, the designations of these types were changed to “Fighters” having an “F” prefix. Examples are the F-84 and the F-86. Classic Fighters of America focuses almost entirely on Pursuit/Fighter aircraft employed by the U.S. forces in the past.
The Planes of Fame Air Museum was founded in 1957 by Edward Maloney. It is the oldest independently operated aviation museum in the United States.
The museum collection spans the history of manned flight. We house over 150 Aircraft and displays. Many of the Aircraft are flyable, including the P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-40 Warhawk, B-25 Mitchell, P-38 Lightning, F-86 Sabre & Russian Mig 15.
Our Mission is to preserve aviation history, inspire interest in aviation, educate the public, and honor aviation pioneers and veterans.
We are a non profit 501 (c)(3) organization that has grown since 1957 through donations. We receive no monies from the government. For more info please visit: http://www.planesoffame.org
Planes of Fame Air Museum
7000 Merrill Avenue #17, Chino, CA 91710
Tel – 909-597-3722
Fax – 909-597-4755
The Delaware Aviation Museum at Sussex County Airport features many World War II aviation artifacts, memorabilia and displays. The museum is also home of the Jeffrey L. Ethell Memorial Aviation Library of over 3,000 aviation related books: the largest aviation library in the east. Vintage aircraft are also on display.
Our organization was first established in March 1990 as a Detachment of the Combat Air Museum of Topeka, Kansas. We began with 15 members, 1 display case and a small office at the Augusta Municipal Airport.Named as Combat Air Museum Det 1 we moved into an empty industrial building at 1304 Money Street in 1991. The organization was incorporated by the State of Kansas in May of 1992 and received our federal recognition by the Internal Revenue Service as a scientific and educational museum that fall. Soon after CAM Det 1 parted with Combat Air Museum and became the Augusta Air Museum. An offer to purchase our 16,500 sq ft present location for 1 dollar was accepted by the Williams Pipeline Company of Tulsa, Oklahoma on December 17, 1993.As the museum grew over the years so did our military donations. In fact, so much more than aviation donations that our board, in 2007, elected to change the museum\’s name to the Kansas Museum of Military History in order to better reflect the collections and exhibits.
The Pioneer Village complex comprises 28 buildings on 20 acres housing over 50,000 irreplaceable items of historical value, restored to operating order, arranged in groups and also in the chronological order of their development. There are 12 historic buildings around the circular \”green\”. There\’s a Frontier Fort, a real honest-to-goodness Pony Express Station, an Iron Horse, and a home made of sod. There\’s a general store and a toy store, chock full of all the goods from yesteryear. An original art collection including 25 Currier and Ives prints, 23 Jackson paintings, and the largest single collection of Rogers statues. You can see a priceless steam carousel, 17 historic flying machines and marvel at 100 antique tractors. See the world\’s oldest Buick, a 1902 Cadillac and a 1903 Ford, both designed by Henry Ford, plus 350 other antique cars, all displayed in their order of development.
The OAHS was originally incorporated in 1985 and over the years has gone through a couple of name changes. We’ve been known as the Oregon Aviation Museum, the Oregon Aviation and Space Museum, and the Oregon Aviation Historical Society. By any name, our mission is the same: to collect, preserve, and restore Oregon related aviation artifacts for interpretive and educational display to insure the preservation of Oregon’s rich aviation heritage for future generations. Our facility is located at 2475 Jim Wright Way, Cottage Grove, Oregon.
During the 1980′s the U.S. Navy came to realize that keeping in service its last remaining World War II Essex Class aircraft carrier was becoming increasingly expensive and that the USS LEXINGTON would have to be replaced by a more modern ship. In August 1990, the Secretary of the Navy announced that the USS FORRESTAL would replace the USS LEXINGTON as the Navy’s training carrier.Because of Corpus Christi’s long and proud history with the Navy and naval aviation in particular, the Corpus Christi Area Economic Development Commission formed a task force of prominent community leaders, known as Landing Force 16, to bring the “Blue Ghost” to the city. With an active fund-raising campaign in place and strong community support, the Corpus Christi City Council endorsed a $3 million dollar bond sale to finance the project. In August 1991, Landing Force 16 presented Corpus Christi’s proposal to Secretary of the Navy Lawrence Garrett, III. Although in stiff competition with several other communities, on the strength of community support, LEXINGTON was awarded to the Corpus Christi team.On 29 January 1992, LEXINGTON arrived at Naval Station Ingleside and became a permanent Texas resident. On 8 June 1992, the United States Navy officially signed over LEXINGTON to city officials and on 17 June she was towed to her final berth on North Beach. The USS LEXINGTON was opened to the public in OCTOBER 1992, and on 14 November was dedicated in a formal ceremony attended by representatives of the City, State and Federal governments, as well as former crew members and members of numerous veterans organizations.From the very first day of operation as a naval aviation museum, the USS LEXINGTON has remained totally self-sufficient, never having received funds from local, state or federal government agencies. The Museum has relied solely on revenues generated from grants, donations, admissions, ship’s store sales, special events, and the youth overnight program. These revenues have covered all expenses not only to operate and maintain the ship but also to fund all capital improvements as well.
The Air Force Armament Museum is the only museum in the world dedicated to the collection, preservation and exhibition of artifacts and memorabilia associated with Air Force Armament and its platforms of delivery.The museum was conceived and approved in 1974 but there was no suitable structure available on Eglin Air Force Base until 1976. In the spring of that year, an old Enlisted Club facility became available and the Armament Museum became a reality. To help fund and perpetuate this Museum, the Air Force Armament Museum Foundation (AFAMF), a philanthropic non-profit organization, was established.From 1976 through 1981, the artifact collection grew, and the Museum averaged nearly 80,000 visitors per year. But, in 1981, the building housing the Museum collection was condemned, and the Museum closed that October.The AFAM Foundation then began what became a lengthy effort to find a new home for the Armament Museum. After a slow start, funding effort began in 1984. By mid-1985, $1.2 million in private and corporate donations had been raised and construction of a new 28,000 square foot Museum was underway and in November of the same year, the new Museum was deeded to the United States Air Force and opened to the public.Admittance to the Museum is free of charge and the Museum is closed on Sundays and federal holidays. Over one million people have now visited and enjoyed this Museum. Numerous significant, military-related ceremonies such as promotions, reenlistments, retirements and meetings occur within the Museum each month. Visits by school, church and veterans groups are now almost daily occurrences and the Armament Museum has become an important educational, cultural and social landmark.
The Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum in Coffeyville, Kansas is housed in the only hanger remaining from the Pfister Park Airport, that was in operation from 1933 until 1960. The original runways and hanger were a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project. When the airport was discontinued, the land reverted into Coffeyville\’s Pfister Park and there are no runways there today.Open weekends, or by appointment, the Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum has various aircraft exhibits, but the truely unique exhibit is the memorabilia about the Funk Airplanes which were designed by Joe and Howard Funk.The Funk\’s Akron Aircraft Company was originally located in Akron, Ohio, but following bankruptcy in 1940, they were bailed out by Bill and Raymond Jensen of Coffeyville and the manufacturing was relocated to Kansas. The renamed Funk Aircraft Company operated in Coffeyville from 1941 through 1942 and again from 1945 through 1947, producing a total of 232 aircraft, before the post war aircraft production bubble burst.Including the production in Akron, over 300 Funk airplanes were produced and about 200 still fly. Many of the remaining Funk airplanes are flown to an annual reunion of the Funk Aircraft Owners Association in Coffeyville each September.
The Classic Aircraft Aviation Museum supports the concept of ‘living history’ by exhibiting our restored aircraft at the Museum, at air shows, historical reunions, industry and aviation events – including aircraft static displays and flight demonstrations. Museum staff and volunteers provide lectures to schools, service clubs, and other organizations interested in aviation history and are proud to serve as an educational resource.
Hangar 10 Flying Museum, Inc., is a Texas Historical Commission accredited, Internal Revenue Service approved 501 (c)(3) nonprofit organization. The museum operates solely on a volunteer basis, with no paid employees, through donations only.The purpose of the museum is to display, maintain, preserve, fly and show antique, classic and contemporary classes of aircraft: to include all eras of civil and military aircraft, both fixed and rotary wing. The museum presents and shows aircraft to the public at the Hangar 10 Flying Museum hangar at the Denton Municipal Airport, Texas and throughout the United States for as many people to see and enjoy as possible with the limited funding and resources available. Any and all monies, property, materials, parts, gifts, etc., derived from, or for, this museum are used solely for all its associated functions and operation of the museum and its entity,The museum is normally open from 8:30 am until 3:00 pm, Monday through Saturday, and other hours by prior arrangement. Admission to the museum is free, but donations are gladly accepted. Museum personnel can be reached by telephone at 940-565-1945.The museum features many rare and classic aircraft and military memorabilia.
Discover how Northern Alberta\’s rich aviation history was made in your community, making Edmonton:“The Gateway to the North”See the incredible progress of technology in the past century of flight. Take a guided tour with a group, or plan a self guided, interactive journey through the culture of flight, from the days of wood and fabric to the Jet Age of today. We offer specially tailored interactive tours and work experience programs for school and youth groups.
From the time man first took flight in the early 1900s to the recent shuttle missions into space, South Central Kentucky has played a significant role in the history of aviation. One of the first pilots to fly in combat claimed ties to Bowling Green, as did a World War I flying ace, a pioneer instructor pilot, a Vietnam war hero, Commanders of the famed Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels, the Commander/Pilot of “Marine One”, the presidential helicopter unit and the Mission Commander for the space shuttle Atlantis. These aviators – and their ties to South Central Kentucky – deserve to be recognized and celebrated so that future generations might be made aware of and motivated by their extraordinary achievements. This is the mission of Aviation Heritage Park.
The Wright Museum\’s mission is to preserve and share the stories of America\’s Greatest Generation for the benefit of generations to come. As a one-of-a-kind non-profit institution, the Wright Museum collects and displays artifacts that illustrate the Second World War\’s significant and lasting impact on American life.During WWII, Americans from all walks of life pulled together to defend freedom against a global threat to our commonly-held values of life, liberty, and the pursuit of a better life. Hardened by the privations of the Great Depression, Americans were primed for the sacrifices necessary to thwart the forces assembled against them.Sixty-five years after the end of World War II, we are losing 1,000 veterans each day. Now is the time for their children and grandchildren to come together – to celebrate their achievements and remember the sacrifices of those who helped defend our commonly-held values. Whether it was on the front lines of battle or through efforts on the home front to conserve fuel and rubber, Americans pulled together to realize a common goal as never before–or since.
WAAM houses one of the largest collections of historic propeller-driven airplanes in the country, with each and every plane in flying condition.Each airplane has been meticulously restored, and each one offers a unique window into the history of aviation in this country.
The mission of the Commemorative Air Force Utah Wing is to collect historic aircraft, restoring them to an airworthy status, and displaying them to the public to remember and honor the military aviation history of our armed forces is our goal.The Commemorative Air Force [CAF], was chartered in Texas as a 501c3 non-profit corporation in 1961 to preserve a representation of each aircraft flown during World War II. Originally known as the Confederate Air Force, in 2001 the name Commemorative Air Force was adopted to more accurately reflect the CAF mission. We tell the stories. . .we fly the airplanes. . .we keep the spirit of excitement and hope alive today.The CAF currently owns approximately 156 aircraft with over 9,000 members in 74 units throughout the U.S.The Utah Wing was formed in the mid-1980s with its first aircraft, a Boeing PT-17/N2S Stearman. Now the wing has a Beech C-45 Expeditor. Individual members of the Utah CAF also have some notable aircraft such as a Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon, Stinson L-5 Sentinel, Nanchang CJ-6, Piper L-4 Grasshopper, and an Aerocoupe 415/YPQ-13. Any of these aircraft are available for air shows, special events, or fly-bys.
The Yanks Air Museum is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization. Yanks’ mission is to acquire, restore and preserve one of the world’s largest and rarest collections of American aircraft, their history and artifacts. Today aviator or not, many visitors and group tours are lured to Yanks Air Museum, where the Legends live on! Yanks’ houses the largest private collection of American WWII fighter, dive and torpedo bombers in the world. Every aircraft at Yanks Air Museum has a story to tell. Join us to discover America’s aviation history and the lore of flight. From the Wright Brothers’ 1903 Wright Flyer to the record-breaking F-106 Delta Dart, at Yanks you can see the entire sweep of American aviation!In addition to the aircraft there are many fascinating exhibits at to see, like the vast collection of 720 aircraft models built by Burt Taylor. Or visit the new Spacesuit, flight suit and uniform pavilion which house an impressive assembly of aviation related attire including items from record-breaking aviatrix Jackie Cochran. Even our extensive collection of drones and missiles are quite unique and tell of the discovery of Marilyn Monroe. Spend the day and explore Yanks’ Fightertown Saitek Simulator Center. Enter the cockpit of a genuine military simulator and take a flight with us. Suit up for your flight briefing and prepare for your mission. Immerse yourself in a real flight training exercise. Experience what jet pilots feel as you “fly” the simulator on a mission!
The CAF was founded to acquire, restore, and preserve in flying condition a complete collection of combat aircraft which were flown by all military services of the United States, and selected aircraft of other nations, for the education and enjoyment of present and future generations of Americans.More than just a collection of airworthy warplanes from the past, the CAF\’s fleet of historical aircraft, known as the CAF Ghost Squadron, recreates, reminds and reinforces the lessons learned from the defining moments of American military history.CAF OBJECTIVES1) To preserve, in flying condition, a complete collection of combat aircraft which were flown by all military services of the United States in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.2) To provide museum buildings for permanent protection and display of these aircraft as a tribute to the thousands of men and women who built, serviced, and flew them.3) To perpetuate in the memory and hearts of all Americans the spirit in which these great planes were flown for the defense of our nation.4) To establish an organization having the dedication, enthusiasm and esprit de corps necessary to operate, maintain and preserve these aircraft as symbols of our American military aviation heritage.
The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum was founded in 1982 as the St. Louis Aviation Museum, a tax-exempt, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Initially located at Creve Coeur Airport, then at Spirit of St. Louis Airport, it endured the disastrous floods of 1986 and 1993. The public displays facility was closed in September 2001, at which point its artifacts were transferred into storage.The museum re-opened its doors under the present name at historic St. Louis Downtown Airport in January 2005.