Located at Crève Coeur Airport in St. Louis, Missouri, the museum\’s collection centers around civil aircraft built in between the two World Wars, from 1916 to 1946. Several aircraft in the collection are the only extant models of their class.The museum is open to the public regularly, with scheduled tours and rides available.
The CAF was founded to acquire, restore, and preserve in flying condition a complete collection of combat aircraft which were flown by all military services of the United States, and selected aircraft of other nations, for the education and enjoyment of present and future generations of Americans.More than just a collection of airworthy warplanes from the past, the CAF\’s fleet of historical aircraft, known as the CAF Ghost Squadron, recreates, reminds and reinforces the lessons learned from the defining moments of American military history.CAF OBJECTIVES1) To preserve, in flying condition, a complete collection of combat aircraft which were flown by all military services of the United States in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.2) To provide museum buildings for permanent protection and display of these aircraft as a tribute to the thousands of men and women who built, serviced, and flew them.3) To perpetuate in the memory and hearts of all Americans the spirit in which these great planes were flown for the defense of our nation.4) To establish an organization having the dedication, enthusiasm and esprit de corps necessary to operate, maintain and preserve these aircraft as symbols of our American military aviation heritage.
The Greater St. Louis Air & Space Museum was founded in 1982 as the St. Louis Aviation Museum, a tax-exempt, non-profit 501(c)(3) organization. Initially located at Creve Coeur Airport, then at Spirit of St. Louis Airport, it endured the disastrous floods of 1986 and 1993. The public displays facility was closed in September 2001, at which point its artifacts were transferred into storage.The museum re-opened its doors under the present name at historic St. Louis Downtown Airport in January 2005.