About Classic Fighters of America
For almost 100 years and the advent of flight, man has sought to develop an aircraft that could be both offensive and defensive, and thus allow airborne supremacy. From the early 1900’s until after World War II, these aircraft were referred to as “Pursuit” types, and shared a “P” in their designations. Examples were the P-40 Tomahawk, the P-38 Lightning and the P-51 Mustang. After that war and the formation of the U.S. Air Force as a branch separate from the U.S. Army, the designations of these types were changed to “Fighters” having an “F” prefix. Examples are the F-84 and the F-86. Classic Fighters of America focuses almost entirely on Pursuit/Fighter aircraft employed by the U.S. forces in the past.
The Planes of Fame Air Museum was founded in 1957 by Edward Maloney. It is the oldest independently operated aviation museum in the United States.
The museum collection spans the history of manned flight. We house over 150 Aircraft and displays. Many of the Aircraft are flyable, including the P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-40 Warhawk, B-25 Mitchell, P-38 Lightning, F-86 Sabre & Russian Mig 15.
Our Mission is to preserve aviation history, inspire interest in aviation, educate the public, and honor aviation pioneers and veterans.
We are a non profit 501 (c)(3) organization that has grown since 1957 through donations. We receive no monies from the government. For more info please visit: http://www.planesoffame.org
Planes of Fame Air Museum
7000 Merrill Avenue #17, Chino, CA 91710
Tel – 909-597-3722
Fax – 909-597-4755
North American B-25J-25-NC, serial number 44-30733, nicknamed “Sandbar Mitchell” after it crashed on a Tanana River sandbar near Fairbanks, Alaska in June of 1969. With the help of skilled volunteers this B-25J will once again grace the skies over America in honor of the 340th Bomb Group. After spending 44 years resting on the Tanana River Sandbar, Sandbar Mitchell was recovered on July 5, 2013. She is now being restored in the Warbirds Of Glory Museum shop in Michigan.
In addition to the rare flying WWII and Korea warplanes on display at the impressive hangar of the Dixie Wing, there is a room dedicated to the display of artifacts and memorabilia of the Wars of the U.S. in the last century. On display at various points in the museum are mannequins wearing authentic uniforms of WWII. One cabinet displays WWI articles.
Several cabinets display finely crafted plastic models of Allied and Axis warplanes of the last century. This collection was crafted by the late James McConnell of Big Canoe, GA and donated to the Wing by his widow, Betty. A large collection of WWII toys is on display donated by Mr. Richard McNary. During the war, little or no metal was available for toys, so manufacturers used wood, cardboard and even plaster of paris to make these toys.
The centerpiece of the Museum is a 10 foot model of the “USS Enterprise” (CVA-6), the most decorated US warship of WWII and veteran of all but 2 major battles. It is displayed with scale models of U.S. carrier aircraft of WWII.
Various cabinets contain weapons and gear of American, British, French, Russian, German, Italian, and Japanese military services.
A large model of the “USS Missouri” battleship is displayed along with a freighter, the “Aldebarau”. Above these is a very large model of the CAF B-17 “Texas Raider”.
Aviation art by Col Mark Baldwin is displayed on the walls of the Museum along with newspapers of WWII and military insignias.
Sevearl aircraft engines are displayed including a Fairchild “Ranger”, an Allison V-12, a Rolls Royce “Merlin” V-12, a rare Guiberson diesel radial engine and the large Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp R-2800 used on the F4U Corsair fighter-bomber
The museum items supplement the stars of the Dixie Wing Hangar. These fully operational airplanes include the Douglas SBD-5 “Dauntless” divebomber, the North American P-51 D “Mustang” fighter, the Goodyear FG-1D Corsair fighter, the North American LT-6D “Mosquito” spotter attack aircraft, the Fiarchild PT-19A primary trainer, the Aeronca L-16 liason and spotter aircraft, a North American SNJ advanced trainer and two replica Japanese aircraft: the “Zero” fighter and the “Kate” torpedo bomber, these last two built for the movie “Tora, Tora, Tora!”
Museum curators are Col Mark Baldwin and Col Walt Cantrell. The Dixie Wing and the Commemorative Air Force is a 501-c3 tax exempt organization. The museum is staffed by volunteers and supported mainly by donations.
The Bayport Aerodrome Society is a non profit organization that was formed in 1972. Its membership is composed of aviation professionals and those interested in preserving aviation history. By offering tours of the Aerodrome and living museum, our members share their passion for aviation with the community. Anyone can join and volunteer to assist in projects at the Aerodrome.
The Heritage Flight Museum (HFM) has been established by the Anders family to help educate the public so that they might understand and appreciate the contribution military aircraft, and the people that flew them, have made to our heritage, national security and freedom.The primary focus of the HFM will be on US Army Air Corps and US Air Force vintage “Warbirds”: fighters, trainers, and liaison aircraft. Additionally, once a permanent facility is established, the HFM will add displays highlighting elements of the US Space Program, mainly the Apollo program.In order to obtain the greatest exposure of the aircraft, the HFM will primarily display aircraft through flying and static display at their hangars in Bellingham, WA. Additionally, aircraft may be displayed at air shows and other remote locations.Besides aircraft displays, HFM plans to display aviation restoration projects, models, and memorabilia. Space flight memorabilia, historical presentations, and educational material will be displayed as well. Additionally, once a more permanent facility is found, the museum plans to develop aviation education and youth education programs.
The Delaware Aviation Museum at Sussex County Airport features many World War II aviation artifacts, memorabilia and displays. The museum is also home of the Jeffrey L. Ethell Memorial Aviation Library of over 3,000 aviation related books: the largest aviation library in the east. Vintage aircraft are also on display.
The mission of the Baltimore Museum of Industry is to collect, preserve, and interpret the industrial and technological heritage of the Baltimore region for the public by presenting educational programs and exhibits that explore the stories of Maryland’s industries and the people who created and worked in them.
Plans were laid early that the museum would not only be a place to display famous military and vintage aircraft, but would be a place in every way dedicated to telling and showing the rich and varied story of our region\’s aviation history. In the short time since the museum\’s dedication, the members have built a solid foundation, establishing a working museum with aircraft, restoration projects and a role in the region\’s promotion of aviation activities and air shows.The Dakota Territory Air Museum has already forged a place where the aviation history of our region can be shown. As our country and imaginations probe the depths of travel into space, we realize the speed with which changes are coming in aviation. Many of us remember, so short a time ago, when flying itself pushed at the boundaries of daring. It’s a memory to be preserved.The history of these changes not only signifies the giant strides that have been so quickly made over the years, but also points out the very special opportunity we have now – the opportunity to show our children and grandchildren what it was like, and point to what was done. The Dakota Territory Air Museum is dedicated to provide that opportunity.The members of the Dakota Territory Air Museum feel that now is the time to save and remember what came before, while at the same time pointing to the skies and what is to come.
In the late 1990’s, a group of local military folks, agriculture pilots and international Warbird restorers were at the Fargo AirSho. After the show they realized there was a wealth of historic aircraft, knowledge and a passion for aviation, education and restoration. These folks included the late Gerry Beck, Robert Odegaard, Robert Miller, Darrol Schroeder, Alex Macdonald, Matt Butler, the late Warren Diederich and a few others. The founders developed the mission statement, developed a three-building long term plan and opened the museum’s first hangar in 2001. In 2008, the organization retired the debt on the first building and plans are now in play to build the next two buildings.
The Historical Aircraft Squadron, Inc. is an all- volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to the restoration, display and operation of former military aircraft and related equipment in our hangar/ museum located at the Fairfield County Airport. The squadron was formed in 1994 by a small group of individuals who shared this common interest. Membership has grown and we currently have members representing a wide variety of ages, interests, talents and volunteer skills. Members and visitors are encouraged to participate in activities and events as well as to just stop by to \”hang around\” to enjoy the atmosphere of the aircraft and museum displays. We are a work in progress so there is always something new to experience.The Squadron\’s restoration hangar has been completed and is the centerpiece of our future plans. The hangar is the focal point of the Squadron\’s activities and is located north of Lancaster at the Fairfield County Airport (LHQ) on the east side of Route 33. Additional buildings are planned to house the museum, completed aircraft restoration projects and static aircraft displays, military vehicles and museum memorabilia.HAS is involved in many activities including the WINGS OF VICTORY AIRSHOW, museum and library development, attending airshows and other events with the PX, field trips and regular monthly meetings.
The Air Victory Museum mission can be divided into three parts.First and foremost is EDUCATION. Educating the youth of our communities about technological advances and encouraging them to continue their education and make advances of their own.Second, the Museum celebrates these advances.And Third, the Museum honors the people responsible for these advances.
This living history collection, features close to 30 unique and one-of-a-kind aircraft from America\’s Golden Age of Aviation (1920\’s-1930\’s). This private collection is housed within a modern 45,000 square-foot hangar, located at the Anoka County Airport in Blaine, Minnesota. Among rarities are NASA\’s first aircraft, a stainless steel amphibian and the first airplane in which a pope ever flew. One of six trimotors in the collection is a 1927 Ford Trimotor. The full ground-up restoration is America\’s oldest existing airliner. Charles Lindbergh and Amelia Earhart are among the many notable aviators who have flown some of these unique and rare aircraft. Truly a one-of-a-kind collection of this era.
Hundreds of rare aviation items and artifacts are on display in the Spirit of Flight Hall of Honor representing the past, present and future of flight.
Our mission is to save and display aircraft and flight memorabilia to honor all veterans, and to educate the general public on the significance of aviation and aviation history.
The Southern Museum of Flight, one of the largest aviation museums in the Southeast, is dedicated to presenting civilian, military, and experimental aircraft and memorabilia from the earliest history of powered flight. The 75,000 square foot facility houses over 90 aircraft, as well as engines, models, artifacts, photographs, and paintings. In addition, the Southern Museum of Flight is home to the Alabama Aviation Hall of Fame with over 65 biographical plaques presenting Alabama aviation history through collective biography.The Southern Museum of Flight has something for everyone! Adult admission is $7 and student/senior is $6. Active military & families are free. Annual museum family emberships are $45. Family memberships include reciprocal memberships with hundreds of other museums. Discounted group rates are available.
The Illinois Aviation Museum at Bolingbrook is a consortium of individuals and groups dedicated to advancing aviation and engineering. Our current operation is housed in Hangar One, a 6000 square foot facility at Bolingbrook\’s Clow International Airport, provided by the Village of Bolingbrook. This renovated building is home to our aircraft displays and a number of activities and programs. In addition to our growing museum collection of restored and replica aircraft, we also maintain ongoing restoration projects for future display. Volunteers are welcome! Day-to-day operating funds and supporting services come from memberships, individual donors, local businesses, and organized fundraising events and programs.We invite all those who have an interest in aviation, education, or community service to explore what we have to offer at the Illinois Aviation Museum at Bolingbrook’s Clow International Airport. There are many opportunities to volunteer, programs to participate in, and ways to support this exciting organization!
The Skagit Aero Education Museum allows people with a passion for flying a place to immerse themselves in general aviation. Located in an incredible natural setting, the museum provides experiential opportunities for pilots and enthusiasts young and old who have the desire to be surrounded by airplanes and flying. The museum is dedicated to preserving and sharing the personal light aircraft that have trained and served generations of pilots, forming the backbone of general aviation for more than 80 years.We are located in Concrete, Washington. Set deep in the Cascade mountains, the museum is surrounded by beautiful scenery and includes more than 30 aircraft. Our collection includes classics from the 1930s and 1940s and aircraft from the post war boom in aviation.The museum includes complete restoration facilities and several active restorations are currently underway. We are open to visitors on most days, though calling in advance is recommended.
In July 2007, we expanded into the North Terminal Building which is the former airline terminal. This wonderful expansion opportunity enabled us to more than double our exhibit space for aviation items and memorabilia of the 20th Century, enlarge our gift shop and library, add a multimedia theater room, and provide additional educational programs. Our hangar facility continues to be our restoration area along with hangar space for the flying aircraft. All of these areas are being paid for by non-government volunteer pledges and contributions.Tyler and East Texas have innumerable individuals who have had first-hand experience in historic aviation events during times of both peace and war. What a wonderful opportunity it is to share these individuals\’ testimonials and memorabilia with our community. An example of those East Texans who have served so ably in World War II is the late Museum member, Captain Elmer Dixson, USAF 3rd Photo Reconnaissance Squad, 20th Air Force (the official photographers of Japan during World War II) whose history is presented in a museum book entitled \”From Tyler, Texas to Tokyo\”.
Membership in the Cincinnati Warbirds EAA Squadron 18 is open to anyone with an interest in military aviation. The club organizes and sponsors numerous events including rides in historic warbirds, trips to airshows and museums, warbird restoration projects and other social functions of interest to warbird lovers. We meet on the first Thursday evening of the month for dinner and a meeting. Meetings often include interesting lectures by military pilots, veterans, flight instructors, or other notable authorities in the field of aviation. Dues are currently $25/year.The Warbirds normally meet in the Cincinnati Airman\’s club, located on the second floor of the old terminal building at Lunken Airport, or at the Tri-State Warbird Museum in Batavia, OH.
During WWII, the 4146 Base Unit was involved in secret rocket development at what was then known as Dover Army Airfield. The building complex where these military secret operations took place was Hangar 1301. From the 1950s to the 1970s, various fighter squadrons called the hangar home. In the 1990s after restoration and placement on the National Register of Historic Places, Hangar 1301 was given new life as the home of the Air Mobility Command Museum.The Air Mobility Command Museum is a part of the National Museum of the United States Air Force\’s field museum system. Air Mobility Command is a major command of the United States Air Force. Its mission is to deliver maximum war-fighting and humanitarian effects for America through rapid and precise global air mobility.
The Museum is home to the 35th Division Museum. It includes 36 pieces of military equipment outside–airplanes, helicopters, tanks, artillery, jeeps, trucks, artillery tractors, etc. The Museum includes over 125 inside exhibits, including exhibits on the Civil War, Indian Wars in Kansas, Spanish-American War, Mexican Border War of 1916, World War I, World War II, the Korean War, the Vietnam War, Desert Storm-Desert Shield, and the Global Wars on Terrorism–Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom. The Museum includes the Kansas National Guard Hall of Fame, a MAS*H replica of the “Swamp,” an original oil portrait of Adolph Hitler, a Snowgoose UAV, and Maj Daniel Forbes.