About Classic Fighters of America
For almost 100 years and the advent of flight, man has sought to develop an aircraft that could be both offensive and defensive, and thus allow airborne supremacy. From the early 1900’s until after World War II, these aircraft were referred to as “Pursuit” types, and shared a “P” in their designations. Examples were the P-40 Tomahawk, the P-38 Lightning and the P-51 Mustang. After that war and the formation of the U.S. Air Force as a branch separate from the U.S. Army, the designations of these types were changed to “Fighters” having an “F” prefix. Examples are the F-84 and the F-86. Classic Fighters of America focuses almost entirely on Pursuit/Fighter aircraft employed by the U.S. forces in the past.
In addition to the rare flying WWII and Korea warplanes on display at the impressive hangar of the Dixie Wing, there is a room dedicated to the display of artifacts and memorabilia of the Wars of the U.S. in the last century. On display at various points in the museum are mannequins wearing authentic uniforms of WWII. One cabinet displays WWI articles.
Several cabinets display finely crafted plastic models of Allied and Axis warplanes of the last century. This collection was crafted by the late James McConnell of Big Canoe, GA and donated to the Wing by his widow, Betty. A large collection of WWII toys is on display donated by Mr. Richard McNary. During the war, little or no metal was available for toys, so manufacturers used wood, cardboard and even plaster of paris to make these toys.
The centerpiece of the Museum is a 10 foot model of the “USS Enterprise” (CVA-6), the most decorated US warship of WWII and veteran of all but 2 major battles. It is displayed with scale models of U.S. carrier aircraft of WWII.
Various cabinets contain weapons and gear of American, British, French, Russian, German, Italian, and Japanese military services.
A large model of the “USS Missouri” battleship is displayed along with a freighter, the “Aldebarau”. Above these is a very large model of the CAF B-17 “Texas Raider”.
Aviation art by Col Mark Baldwin is displayed on the walls of the Museum along with newspapers of WWII and military insignias.
Sevearl aircraft engines are displayed including a Fairchild “Ranger”, an Allison V-12, a Rolls Royce “Merlin” V-12, a rare Guiberson diesel radial engine and the large Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp R-2800 used on the F4U Corsair fighter-bomber
The museum items supplement the stars of the Dixie Wing Hangar. These fully operational airplanes include the Douglas SBD-5 “Dauntless” divebomber, the North American P-51 D “Mustang” fighter, the Goodyear FG-1D Corsair fighter, the North American LT-6D “Mosquito” spotter attack aircraft, the Fiarchild PT-19A primary trainer, the Aeronca L-16 liason and spotter aircraft, a North American SNJ advanced trainer and two replica Japanese aircraft: the “Zero” fighter and the “Kate” torpedo bomber, these last two built for the movie “Tora, Tora, Tora!”
Museum curators are Col Mark Baldwin and Col Walt Cantrell. The Dixie Wing and the Commemorative Air Force is a 501-c3 tax exempt organization. The museum is staffed by volunteers and supported mainly by donations.
North American B-25J-25-NC, serial number 44-30733, nicknamed “Sandbar Mitchell” after it crashed on a Tanana River sandbar near Fairbanks, Alaska in June of 1969. With the help of skilled volunteers this B-25J will once again grace the skies over America in honor of the 340th Bomb Group. After spending 44 years resting on the Tanana River Sandbar, Sandbar Mitchell was recovered on July 5, 2013. She is now being restored in the Warbirds Of Glory Museum shop in Michigan.
The Planes of Fame Air Museum was founded in 1957 by Edward Maloney. It is the oldest independently operated aviation museum in the United States.
The museum collection spans the history of manned flight. We house over 150 Aircraft and displays. Many of the Aircraft are flyable, including the P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-40 Warhawk, B-25 Mitchell, P-38 Lightning, F-86 Sabre & Russian Mig 15.
Our Mission is to preserve aviation history, inspire interest in aviation, educate the public, and honor aviation pioneers and veterans.
We are a non profit 501 (c)(3) organization that has grown since 1957 through donations. We receive no monies from the government. For more info please visit: http://www.planesoffame.org
Planes of Fame Air Museum
7000 Merrill Avenue #17, Chino, CA 91710
Tel – 909-597-3722
Fax – 909-597-4755
The Hoosier Air Museum consists of a 10,000 square-foot hanger which houses our aircraft, a gift shop, various radial, in-line, and jet engines. Also included are aviation memorabilia, models and photographs. Our museum\’s attached annex consists of a 6,375 square-foot facility that houses our banquet/reception hall, resource library and, also includes additional aviation memorabilia, models and photographs.
The CAF was founded to acquire, restore, and preserve in flying condition a complete collection of combat aircraft which were flown by all military services of the United States, and selected aircraft of other nations, for the education and enjoyment of present and future generations of Americans.More than just a collection of airworthy warplanes from the past, the CAF\’s fleet of historical aircraft, known as the CAF Ghost Squadron, recreates, reminds and reinforces the lessons learned from the defining moments of American military history.CAF OBJECTIVES1) To preserve, in flying condition, a complete collection of combat aircraft which were flown by all military services of the United States in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.2) To provide museum buildings for permanent protection and display of these aircraft as a tribute to the thousands of men and women who built, serviced, and flew them.3) To perpetuate in the memory and hearts of all Americans the spirit in which these great planes were flown for the defense of our nation.4) To establish an organization having the dedication, enthusiasm and esprit de corps necessary to operate, maintain and preserve these aircraft as symbols of our American military aviation heritage.
The Historical Aircraft Squadron, Inc. is an all- volunteer, non-profit organization dedicated to the restoration, display and operation of former military aircraft and related equipment in our hangar/ museum located at the Fairfield County Airport. The squadron was formed in 1994 by a small group of individuals who shared this common interest. Membership has grown and we currently have members representing a wide variety of ages, interests, talents and volunteer skills. Members and visitors are encouraged to participate in activities and events as well as to just stop by to \”hang around\” to enjoy the atmosphere of the aircraft and museum displays. We are a work in progress so there is always something new to experience.The Squadron\’s restoration hangar has been completed and is the centerpiece of our future plans. The hangar is the focal point of the Squadron\’s activities and is located north of Lancaster at the Fairfield County Airport (LHQ) on the east side of Route 33. Additional buildings are planned to house the museum, completed aircraft restoration projects and static aircraft displays, military vehicles and museum memorabilia.HAS is involved in many activities including the WINGS OF VICTORY AIRSHOW, museum and library development, attending airshows and other events with the PX, field trips and regular monthly meetings.
Hangar 25 Air Museum is housed in a fully restored WWII era hangar. The mission of Hangar 25 Air Museum is to promote education through the collection, preservation and exhibition of the history of the Big Spring Army Air Force Bombardier School and Webb Air Force Base while honoring all veterans, past and present. Often our museum is staffed by retired veterans and civil service employees who are ready to share their memories of the hangar when it was a hub of activity, first, during WWII as a part of the Big Spring Bombardier School and later as a part of Webb Air Force Base, supporting the training of over 10,000 pilots from 1952 to 1977.Today, Hangar 25 Air Museum is very much a Big Spring, Texas community icon, focused on displaying the proud heritage of a great city and educating our fellow citizens of all ages, on the military traditions that have been such an important part of local history. We encourage anyone with a connection to Big Spring, Texas, or Big Spring AAF Bombardier School or Webb Air Force Base to visit and experience for yourself, the history, heritage, and the honor that is Hangar 25 Air Museum. Incidentally, since opening our doors in May of 1999, Hangar 25 Air Museum has hosted more than 41,000 visitors from all 50 states and over 30 foreign countries.
During WWII, the 4146 Base Unit was involved in secret rocket development at what was then known as Dover Army Airfield. The building complex where these military secret operations took place was Hangar 1301. From the 1950s to the 1970s, various fighter squadrons called the hangar home. In the 1990s after restoration and placement on the National Register of Historic Places, Hangar 1301 was given new life as the home of the Air Mobility Command Museum.The Air Mobility Command Museum is a part of the National Museum of the United States Air Force\’s field museum system. Air Mobility Command is a major command of the United States Air Force. Its mission is to deliver maximum war-fighting and humanitarian effects for America through rapid and precise global air mobility.
The Museum of Mountain Flying\’s motto is to preserve the legends, lore, and historical legacy of the planes, pilots and individuals who pioneered one of the most dangerous and adventurous forms of aviation in the Rocky Mountain West. Our goal is to preserve this history for future generations through preservation and restoration of aircraft and artifacts that showcase this era and through those efforts be able to educate our visitors about a time when a pilot\’s motto was “Fly the Biggest Piece Back.”
Membership in the Cincinnati Warbirds EAA Squadron 18 is open to anyone with an interest in military aviation. The club organizes and sponsors numerous events including rides in historic warbirds, trips to airshows and museums, warbird restoration projects and other social functions of interest to warbird lovers. We meet on the first Thursday evening of the month for dinner and a meeting. Meetings often include interesting lectures by military pilots, veterans, flight instructors, or other notable authorities in the field of aviation. Dues are currently $25/year.The Warbirds normally meet in the Cincinnati Airman\’s club, located on the second floor of the old terminal building at Lunken Airport, or at the Tri-State Warbird Museum in Batavia, OH.
The purposes for which the Commemorative Air Force is organized are patriotic, educational, and civic, and shall include:To acquire, restore, and preserve in flying condition a complete collection of combat aircraft which were flown by all military services of the United States, and selected aircraft of other nations, for the education and enjoyment of present and future generations of Americans.To construct or obtain museum buildings for the permanent protection, maintenance, and display of these historic aircraft, period artifacts, and documents as a tribute to the thousands of men and women who built, serviced, and flew them and to build and organize the \”Combat Airman Hall of Fame.\”To perpetuate the spirit in which such combat aircraft were flown in the defense of our nation, in the memory and hearts of all Americans. To establish an organization having the dedication, enthusiasm, and esprit de corps necessary to operate, maintain, and preserve these aircraft as symbols of our American military aviation heritage. To receive gifts, legacies, and grants of money and property of every kind and to administer the same for the purposes herein stated, and to do anything necessary or proper for the accomplishment of these purposes; to lease, purchase, hold, have, use, and take possession of and enjoy fee simple or otherwise any personal and real property necessary for the uses and purposes of the corporations; and to sell, lease, alienate, or dispose of the same at the pleasure of the corporation and for the uses and purposes for which said corporation is formed; and to buy and sell real or personal property and to apply the proceeds of sale, including any and all income, to the uses and purposes of the corporation.
The Delaware Aviation Museum at Sussex County Airport features many World War II aviation artifacts, memorabilia and displays. The museum is also home of the Jeffrey L. Ethell Memorial Aviation Library of over 3,000 aviation related books: the largest aviation library in the east. Vintage aircraft are also on display.
Our organization was first established in March 1990 as a Detachment of the Combat Air Museum of Topeka, Kansas. We began with 15 members, 1 display case and a small office at the Augusta Municipal Airport.Named as Combat Air Museum Det 1 we moved into an empty industrial building at 1304 Money Street in 1991. The organization was incorporated by the State of Kansas in May of 1992 and received our federal recognition by the Internal Revenue Service as a scientific and educational museum that fall. Soon after CAM Det 1 parted with Combat Air Museum and became the Augusta Air Museum. An offer to purchase our 16,500 sq ft present location for 1 dollar was accepted by the Williams Pipeline Company of Tulsa, Oklahoma on December 17, 1993.As the museum grew over the years so did our military donations. In fact, so much more than aviation donations that our board, in 2007, elected to change the museum\’s name to the Kansas Museum of Military History in order to better reflect the collections and exhibits.
The Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles (HMMV) is a non-profit organization run by volunteers and funded by donations and grants.The museum has about 100 vehicles including helicopters, tanks, halftracks, ambulances, and a jeep from every branch of the service plus displays of weapons, uniforms, engines, equipment, and more. The everyday necessities of a soldier\’s life, such as MREs, blend with unique vehicles like those used by the German army in World War II.This hands-on museum invites you to see, touch, and even sit in vehicles that have been restored and, for the most part, are operational. Vehicles date from World War II but displays include items from World War I as well.
The Highland Lakes Squadron museum welcomes you to visit our collection of authentic WWII artifacts as well as our “working” aircraft hangar where we bring WWII aircraft back to life. Specific exhibits include a turret from a B-24 bomber, a cutaway radial engine of the type used in the AT-6/SNJ, a WW-II machine for making dog tags, a WW-II instrument flying trainer (Link Trainer), and an air-to-air missile. Guns from United States, Germany and Japan, knives and bayonets, various home front items, newspapers, uniforms, helmets, aircraft and ship models are on display. Our museum emphasizes the contributions of the common soldier, seaman, and airman. All artifacts in our museum have been donated, principally by local residents or people having contact with local residents.Flying aircraft in our hangar include our 1944-model C-47 \”Bluebonnet Belle\”, 1944-model SNJ T6 Texan, 1939-model PT-19, and 1946 L-17 Navion. You are welcome to take a guided tour of each of these aircraft.We are an all-volunteer non-profit unit of the Commemorative Air Force and we do ask for a small admission into the museum.
The Air Force Armament Museum is the only museum in the world dedicated to the collection, preservation and exhibition of artifacts and memorabilia associated with Air Force Armament and its platforms of delivery.The museum was conceived and approved in 1974 but there was no suitable structure available on Eglin Air Force Base until 1976. In the spring of that year, an old Enlisted Club facility became available and the Armament Museum became a reality. To help fund and perpetuate this Museum, the Air Force Armament Museum Foundation (AFAMF), a philanthropic non-profit organization, was established.From 1976 through 1981, the artifact collection grew, and the Museum averaged nearly 80,000 visitors per year. But, in 1981, the building housing the Museum collection was condemned, and the Museum closed that October.The AFAM Foundation then began what became a lengthy effort to find a new home for the Armament Museum. After a slow start, funding effort began in 1984. By mid-1985, $1.2 million in private and corporate donations had been raised and construction of a new 28,000 square foot Museum was underway and in November of the same year, the new Museum was deeded to the United States Air Force and opened to the public.Admittance to the Museum is free of charge and the Museum is closed on Sundays and federal holidays. Over one million people have now visited and enjoyed this Museum. Numerous significant, military-related ceremonies such as promotions, reenlistments, retirements and meetings occur within the Museum each month. Visits by school, church and veterans groups are now almost daily occurrences and the Armament Museum has become an important educational, cultural and social landmark.
The Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum in Coffeyville, Kansas is housed in the only hanger remaining from the Pfister Park Airport, that was in operation from 1933 until 1960. The original runways and hanger were a WPA (Works Progress Administration) project. When the airport was discontinued, the land reverted into Coffeyville\’s Pfister Park and there are no runways there today.Open weekends, or by appointment, the Coffeyville Aviation Heritage Museum has various aircraft exhibits, but the truely unique exhibit is the memorabilia about the Funk Airplanes which were designed by Joe and Howard Funk.The Funk\’s Akron Aircraft Company was originally located in Akron, Ohio, but following bankruptcy in 1940, they were bailed out by Bill and Raymond Jensen of Coffeyville and the manufacturing was relocated to Kansas. The renamed Funk Aircraft Company operated in Coffeyville from 1941 through 1942 and again from 1945 through 1947, producing a total of 232 aircraft, before the post war aircraft production bubble burst.Including the production in Akron, over 300 Funk airplanes were produced and about 200 still fly. Many of the remaining Funk airplanes are flown to an annual reunion of the Funk Aircraft Owners Association in Coffeyville each September.
Founded in the 1970’s, The Valiant Air Command Warbird Museum has a continually growing collection of over 45 historic warbirds from the beginnings of aviation to the present day. The VAC is a 501(3)c educational organization dedicated to the preservation of, education about and commemoration of Warbirds from all eras and the men and women who flew, maintained and fought in them.