The Charlotte Airport hangar was erected in 1936-37 by the Works Progress Administration, better known as WPA, a program tied to the federal work program that served Charlotte during the Great Depression. The airport consisted of two buildings, an administration/terminal building, one hangar, a beacon tower, two 3000-foot runways and one 2500-foot runway.On May 17th 1938 Eastern Airlines flew the first commercial flight into Charlotte and in the airport\’s first year of operation six flights took off from Charlotte each day. Two years later, the airport was renamed Douglas Municipal Airport in honor of the mayor Ben E. Douglas who headed the movement to build it.In 1941, the Army Air Force took control of the airport and renamed it Morris Field in honor of Major William Colb Morris. Then in 1954 the airport was renamed Douglas Municipal Airport in honor of Mayor Ben Elbert Douglas.Charlotte Douglas Airport grew rapidly over the years but in 1991, the original hangar was scheduled to be torn down to make room for expansion. Floyd and Lois Wilson heard about the removal of the hangar and decided to step in to save the historical landmark. They organized a small group of aviation enthusiasts and formed the Carolinas Historical Aviation Commission (CHAC). Their vision – \”To preserve the past, present and future aviation history of North and South Carolina.\” Of course the logo reflected this vision.The organization acquired its first aircraft from the U.S. Army in 1992 – a North American T-28 Trojan.The T-28 was a trainer designed in 1949 to replace the T-6 Texan used during WWII. It was in production from about 1950 to 1957.Two years after the CHAC was formed, the old hangar officially became the new home of the Carolinas Aviation Museum.Due to the extension of the new taxiway in 2010, the hangar was moved and the museum was relocated to the new 40,000 square foot hangar on First Flight Drive.The original hangar is still part of the museum and can be seen across the runway from the new hangar. But it is currently used only for storage of some of the museum\’s aircraft.Stop by and see how the museum has evolved…with many of our displays under one roof.
North American B-25J-25-NC, serial number 44-30733, nicknamed “Sandbar Mitchell” after it crashed on a Tanana River sandbar near Fairbanks, Alaska in June of 1969. With the help of skilled volunteers this B-25J will once again grace the skies over America in honor of the 340th Bomb Group. After spending 44 years resting on the Tanana River Sandbar, Sandbar Mitchell was recovered on July 5, 2013. She is now being restored in the Warbirds Of Glory Museum shop in Michigan.
The Planes of Fame Air Museum was founded in 1957 by Edward Maloney. It is the oldest independently operated aviation museum in the United States.
The museum collection spans the history of manned flight. We house over 150 Aircraft and displays. Many of the Aircraft are flyable, including the P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-40 Warhawk, B-25 Mitchell, P-38 Lightning, F-86 Sabre & Russian Mig 15.
Our Mission is to preserve aviation history, inspire interest in aviation, educate the public, and honor aviation pioneers and veterans.
We are a non profit 501 (c)(3) organization that has grown since 1957 through donations. We receive no monies from the government. For more info please visit: http://www.planesoffame.org
Planes of Fame Air Museum
7000 Merrill Avenue #17, Chino, CA 91710
Tel – 909-597-3722
Fax – 909-597-4755
About Classic Fighters of America
For almost 100 years and the advent of flight, man has sought to develop an aircraft that could be both offensive and defensive, and thus allow airborne supremacy. From the early 1900’s until after World War II, these aircraft were referred to as “Pursuit” types, and shared a “P” in their designations. Examples were the P-40 Tomahawk, the P-38 Lightning and the P-51 Mustang. After that war and the formation of the U.S. Air Force as a branch separate from the U.S. Army, the designations of these types were changed to “Fighters” having an “F” prefix. Examples are the F-84 and the F-86. Classic Fighters of America focuses almost entirely on Pursuit/Fighter aircraft employed by the U.S. forces in the past.
In addition to the rare flying WWII and Korea warplanes on display at the impressive hangar of the Dixie Wing, there is a room dedicated to the display of artifacts and memorabilia of the Wars of the U.S. in the last century. On display at various points in the museum are mannequins wearing authentic uniforms of WWII. One cabinet displays WWI articles.
Several cabinets display finely crafted plastic models of Allied and Axis warplanes of the last century. This collection was crafted by the late James McConnell of Big Canoe, GA and donated to the Wing by his widow, Betty. A large collection of WWII toys is on display donated by Mr. Richard McNary. During the war, little or no metal was available for toys, so manufacturers used wood, cardboard and even plaster of paris to make these toys.
The centerpiece of the Museum is a 10 foot model of the “USS Enterprise” (CVA-6), the most decorated US warship of WWII and veteran of all but 2 major battles. It is displayed with scale models of U.S. carrier aircraft of WWII.
Various cabinets contain weapons and gear of American, British, French, Russian, German, Italian, and Japanese military services.
A large model of the “USS Missouri” battleship is displayed along with a freighter, the “Aldebarau”. Above these is a very large model of the CAF B-17 “Texas Raider”.
Aviation art by Col Mark Baldwin is displayed on the walls of the Museum along with newspapers of WWII and military insignias.
Sevearl aircraft engines are displayed including a Fairchild “Ranger”, an Allison V-12, a Rolls Royce “Merlin” V-12, a rare Guiberson diesel radial engine and the large Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp R-2800 used on the F4U Corsair fighter-bomber
The museum items supplement the stars of the Dixie Wing Hangar. These fully operational airplanes include the Douglas SBD-5 “Dauntless” divebomber, the North American P-51 D “Mustang” fighter, the Goodyear FG-1D Corsair fighter, the North American LT-6D “Mosquito” spotter attack aircraft, the Fiarchild PT-19A primary trainer, the Aeronca L-16 liason and spotter aircraft, a North American SNJ advanced trainer and two replica Japanese aircraft: the “Zero” fighter and the “Kate” torpedo bomber, these last two built for the movie “Tora, Tora, Tora!”
Museum curators are Col Mark Baldwin and Col Walt Cantrell. The Dixie Wing and the Commemorative Air Force is a 501-c3 tax exempt organization. The museum is staffed by volunteers and supported mainly by donations.
The Illinois Aviation Museum at Bolingbrook is a consortium of individuals and groups dedicated to advancing aviation and engineering. Our current operation is housed in Hangar One, a 6000 square foot facility at Bolingbrook\’s Clow International Airport, provided by the Village of Bolingbrook. This renovated building is home to our aircraft displays and a number of activities and programs. In addition to our growing museum collection of restored and replica aircraft, we also maintain ongoing restoration projects for future display. Volunteers are welcome! Day-to-day operating funds and supporting services come from memberships, individual donors, local businesses, and organized fundraising events and programs.We invite all those who have an interest in aviation, education, or community service to explore what we have to offer at the Illinois Aviation Museum at Bolingbrook’s Clow International Airport. There are many opportunities to volunteer, programs to participate in, and ways to support this exciting organization!
The Air Force Armament Museum is the only museum in the world dedicated to the collection, preservation and exhibition of artifacts and memorabilia associated with Air Force Armament and its platforms of delivery.The museum was conceived and approved in 1974 but there was no suitable structure available on Eglin Air Force Base until 1976. In the spring of that year, an old Enlisted Club facility became available and the Armament Museum became a reality. To help fund and perpetuate this Museum, the Air Force Armament Museum Foundation (AFAMF), a philanthropic non-profit organization, was established.From 1976 through 1981, the artifact collection grew, and the Museum averaged nearly 80,000 visitors per year. But, in 1981, the building housing the Museum collection was condemned, and the Museum closed that October.The AFAM Foundation then began what became a lengthy effort to find a new home for the Armament Museum. After a slow start, funding effort began in 1984. By mid-1985, $1.2 million in private and corporate donations had been raised and construction of a new 28,000 square foot Museum was underway and in November of the same year, the new Museum was deeded to the United States Air Force and opened to the public.Admittance to the Museum is free of charge and the Museum is closed on Sundays and federal holidays. Over one million people have now visited and enjoyed this Museum. Numerous significant, military-related ceremonies such as promotions, reenlistments, retirements and meetings occur within the Museum each month. Visits by school, church and veterans groups are now almost daily occurrences and the Armament Museum has become an important educational, cultural and social landmark.
The CAF was founded to acquire, restore, and preserve in flying condition a complete collection of combat aircraft which were flown by all military services of the United States, and selected aircraft of other nations, for the education and enjoyment of present and future generations of Americans.More than just a collection of airworthy warplanes from the past, the CAF\’s fleet of historical aircraft, known as the CAF Ghost Squadron, recreates, reminds and reinforces the lessons learned from the defining moments of American military history.CAF OBJECTIVES1) To preserve, in flying condition, a complete collection of combat aircraft which were flown by all military services of the United States in World War II, Korea and Vietnam.2) To provide museum buildings for permanent protection and display of these aircraft as a tribute to the thousands of men and women who built, serviced, and flew them.3) To perpetuate in the memory and hearts of all Americans the spirit in which these great planes were flown for the defense of our nation.4) To establish an organization having the dedication, enthusiasm and esprit de corps necessary to operate, maintain and preserve these aircraft as symbols of our American military aviation heritage.
The Pioneer Village complex comprises 28 buildings on 20 acres housing over 50,000 irreplaceable items of historical value, restored to operating order, arranged in groups and also in the chronological order of their development. There are 12 historic buildings around the circular \”green\”. There\’s a Frontier Fort, a real honest-to-goodness Pony Express Station, an Iron Horse, and a home made of sod. There\’s a general store and a toy store, chock full of all the goods from yesteryear. An original art collection including 25 Currier and Ives prints, 23 Jackson paintings, and the largest single collection of Rogers statues. You can see a priceless steam carousel, 17 historic flying machines and marvel at 100 antique tractors. See the world\’s oldest Buick, a 1902 Cadillac and a 1903 Ford, both designed by Henry Ford, plus 350 other antique cars, all displayed in their order of development.
Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome has one of the world\’s greatest collections of flying pioneer, WW-I, and Lindbergh era airplanes. Started by Cole Palen over a half century ago, it lives on as a volunteer run not-for-profit aerodrome, museum, air show and provider of thrilling biplane rides.
The Tennessee Museum of Aviation opened in Sevierville on December 15, 2001. The 50,000 sq ft facility is located beside the runway of the Gatlinburg-Pigeon Forge Airport (KGKT). Airworthy Warbirds are the foundation of our collection, making this a very unique location for visitors to enjoy unscheduled flight demonstrations. Docents are available to assist visitors on a leisurely walk through our 35,000 sq ft hangar, observing a variety of magnificently restored Warbirds and offering a glimpse at some future projects waiting for restoration. We are a \”living\” museum, therefore our exhibits and aircraft change frequently. Bring your family to reminisce with veterans willing to share their memories with the next generation. This hidden treasure, of the Smoky Mountains, is certainly worth a visit for any aviation enthusiast.
Discover how Northern Alberta\’s rich aviation history was made in your community, making Edmonton:“The Gateway to the North”See the incredible progress of technology in the past century of flight. Take a guided tour with a group, or plan a self guided, interactive journey through the culture of flight, from the days of wood and fabric to the Jet Age of today. We offer specially tailored interactive tours and work experience programs for school and youth groups.
WAAM houses one of the largest collections of historic propeller-driven airplanes in the country, with each and every plane in flying condition.Each airplane has been meticulously restored, and each one offers a unique window into the history of aviation in this country.
In 1990, a group of Delta retirees launched an effort to locate one of Delta\’s first 1940s Douglas DC-3 aircraft. This combined with an effort to consolidate Delta\’s memorabilia and archival collections, created a groundswell of support that expanded into a museum.The goal of the museum is to collect, preserve, and present the history of Delta Air Lines in ways that educate and engage. We serve Delta employees and families, Delta friends, local community organizations and non-profits, and academic researchers.On May 23, 1995, the Delta Air Transport Heritage Museum, Inc, was incorporated as an independent nonprofit corporation, organized exclusively for public charitable uses and purposes and qualified under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. It is devoted to collecting and preserving the history and heritage of Delta Air Lines and all of the airlines that have merged with Delta in the past. This includes Chicago & Southern Air Lines (1953), Northeast Airlines (1972), Western Airlines (1987), Northwest Airlines (2008), and information about the acquisition of Pan Am\’s trans-Atlantic and shuttle routes (1991). The Museum is located in the Delta World Headquarters in Atlanta and is open to Delta employees, retirees, corporate visitors, and to the general public by appointment.
The mission of the Commemorative Air Force Utah Wing is to collect historic aircraft, restoring them to an airworthy status, and displaying them to the public to remember and honor the military aviation history of our armed forces is our goal.The Commemorative Air Force [CAF], was chartered in Texas as a 501c3 non-profit corporation in 1961 to preserve a representation of each aircraft flown during World War II. Originally known as the Confederate Air Force, in 2001 the name Commemorative Air Force was adopted to more accurately reflect the CAF mission. We tell the stories. . .we fly the airplanes. . .we keep the spirit of excitement and hope alive today.The CAF currently owns approximately 156 aircraft with over 9,000 members in 74 units throughout the U.S.The Utah Wing was formed in the mid-1980s with its first aircraft, a Boeing PT-17/N2S Stearman. Now the wing has a Beech C-45 Expeditor. Individual members of the Utah CAF also have some notable aircraft such as a Lockheed PV-2 Harpoon, Stinson L-5 Sentinel, Nanchang CJ-6, Piper L-4 Grasshopper, and an Aerocoupe 415/YPQ-13. Any of these aircraft are available for air shows, special events, or fly-bys.
Hangar 25 Air Museum is housed in a fully restored WWII era hangar. The mission of Hangar 25 Air Museum is to promote education through the collection, preservation and exhibition of the history of the Big Spring Army Air Force Bombardier School and Webb Air Force Base while honoring all veterans, past and present. Often our museum is staffed by retired veterans and civil service employees who are ready to share their memories of the hangar when it was a hub of activity, first, during WWII as a part of the Big Spring Bombardier School and later as a part of Webb Air Force Base, supporting the training of over 10,000 pilots from 1952 to 1977.Today, Hangar 25 Air Museum is very much a Big Spring, Texas community icon, focused on displaying the proud heritage of a great city and educating our fellow citizens of all ages, on the military traditions that have been such an important part of local history. We encourage anyone with a connection to Big Spring, Texas, or Big Spring AAF Bombardier School or Webb Air Force Base to visit and experience for yourself, the history, heritage, and the honor that is Hangar 25 Air Museum. Incidentally, since opening our doors in May of 1999, Hangar 25 Air Museum has hosted more than 41,000 visitors from all 50 states and over 30 foreign countries.
During WWII, the 4146 Base Unit was involved in secret rocket development at what was then known as Dover Army Airfield. The building complex where these military secret operations took place was Hangar 1301. From the 1950s to the 1970s, various fighter squadrons called the hangar home. In the 1990s after restoration and placement on the National Register of Historic Places, Hangar 1301 was given new life as the home of the Air Mobility Command Museum.The Air Mobility Command Museum is a part of the National Museum of the United States Air Force\’s field museum system. Air Mobility Command is a major command of the United States Air Force. Its mission is to deliver maximum war-fighting and humanitarian effects for America through rapid and precise global air mobility.
The Heartland Museum of Military Vehicles (HMMV) is a non-profit organization run by volunteers and funded by donations and grants.The museum has about 100 vehicles including helicopters, tanks, halftracks, ambulances, and a jeep from every branch of the service plus displays of weapons, uniforms, engines, equipment, and more. The everyday necessities of a soldier\’s life, such as MREs, blend with unique vehicles like those used by the German army in World War II.This hands-on museum invites you to see, touch, and even sit in vehicles that have been restored and, for the most part, are operational. Vehicles date from World War II but displays include items from World War I as well.