From the time man first took flight in the early 1900s to the recent shuttle missions into space, South Central Kentucky has played a significant role in the history of aviation. One of the first pilots to fly in combat claimed ties to Bowling Green, as did a World War I flying ace, a pioneer instructor pilot, a Vietnam war hero, Commanders of the famed Air Force Thunderbirds and Navy Blue Angels, the Commander/Pilot of “Marine One”, the presidential helicopter unit and the Mission Commander for the space shuttle Atlantis. These aviators – and their ties to South Central Kentucky – deserve to be recognized and celebrated so that future generations might be made aware of and motivated by their extraordinary achievements. This is the mission of Aviation Heritage Park.
The Planes of Fame Air Museum was founded in 1957 by Edward Maloney. It is the oldest independently operated aviation museum in the United States.
The museum collection spans the history of manned flight. We house over 150 Aircraft and displays. Many of the Aircraft are flyable, including the P-51 Mustang, F4U Corsair, P-47 Thunderbolt, P-40 Warhawk, B-25 Mitchell, P-38 Lightning, F-86 Sabre & Russian Mig 15.
Our Mission is to preserve aviation history, inspire interest in aviation, educate the public, and honor aviation pioneers and veterans.
We are a non profit 501 (c)(3) organization that has grown since 1957 through donations. We receive no monies from the government. For more info please visit: http://www.planesoffame.org
Planes of Fame Air Museum
7000 Merrill Avenue #17, Chino, CA 91710
Tel – 909-597-3722
Fax – 909-597-4755
North American B-25J-25-NC, serial number 44-30733, nicknamed “Sandbar Mitchell” after it crashed on a Tanana River sandbar near Fairbanks, Alaska in June of 1969. With the help of skilled volunteers this B-25J will once again grace the skies over America in honor of the 340th Bomb Group. After spending 44 years resting on the Tanana River Sandbar, Sandbar Mitchell was recovered on July 5, 2013. She is now being restored in the Warbirds Of Glory Museum shop in Michigan.
In addition to the rare flying WWII and Korea warplanes on display at the impressive hangar of the Dixie Wing, there is a room dedicated to the display of artifacts and memorabilia of the Wars of the U.S. in the last century. On display at various points in the museum are mannequins wearing authentic uniforms of WWII. One cabinet displays WWI articles.
Several cabinets display finely crafted plastic models of Allied and Axis warplanes of the last century. This collection was crafted by the late James McConnell of Big Canoe, GA and donated to the Wing by his widow, Betty. A large collection of WWII toys is on display donated by Mr. Richard McNary. During the war, little or no metal was available for toys, so manufacturers used wood, cardboard and even plaster of paris to make these toys.
The centerpiece of the Museum is a 10 foot model of the “USS Enterprise” (CVA-6), the most decorated US warship of WWII and veteran of all but 2 major battles. It is displayed with scale models of U.S. carrier aircraft of WWII.
Various cabinets contain weapons and gear of American, British, French, Russian, German, Italian, and Japanese military services.
A large model of the “USS Missouri” battleship is displayed along with a freighter, the “Aldebarau”. Above these is a very large model of the CAF B-17 “Texas Raider”.
Aviation art by Col Mark Baldwin is displayed on the walls of the Museum along with newspapers of WWII and military insignias.
Sevearl aircraft engines are displayed including a Fairchild “Ranger”, an Allison V-12, a Rolls Royce “Merlin” V-12, a rare Guiberson diesel radial engine and the large Pratt and Whitney Double Wasp R-2800 used on the F4U Corsair fighter-bomber
The museum items supplement the stars of the Dixie Wing Hangar. These fully operational airplanes include the Douglas SBD-5 “Dauntless” divebomber, the North American P-51 D “Mustang” fighter, the Goodyear FG-1D Corsair fighter, the North American LT-6D “Mosquito” spotter attack aircraft, the Fiarchild PT-19A primary trainer, the Aeronca L-16 liason and spotter aircraft, a North American SNJ advanced trainer and two replica Japanese aircraft: the “Zero” fighter and the “Kate” torpedo bomber, these last two built for the movie “Tora, Tora, Tora!”
Museum curators are Col Mark Baldwin and Col Walt Cantrell. The Dixie Wing and the Commemorative Air Force is a 501-c3 tax exempt organization. The museum is staffed by volunteers and supported mainly by donations.
About Classic Fighters of America
For almost 100 years and the advent of flight, man has sought to develop an aircraft that could be both offensive and defensive, and thus allow airborne supremacy. From the early 1900’s until after World War II, these aircraft were referred to as “Pursuit” types, and shared a “P” in their designations. Examples were the P-40 Tomahawk, the P-38 Lightning and the P-51 Mustang. After that war and the formation of the U.S. Air Force as a branch separate from the U.S. Army, the designations of these types were changed to “Fighters” having an “F” prefix. Examples are the F-84 and the F-86. Classic Fighters of America focuses almost entirely on Pursuit/Fighter aircraft employed by the U.S. forces in the past.
The Air Victory Museum mission can be divided into three parts.First and foremost is EDUCATION. Educating the youth of our communities about technological advances and encouraging them to continue their education and make advances of their own.Second, the Museum celebrates these advances.And Third, the Museum honors the people responsible for these advances.
The historic legacy of the Alameda Naval Air Station will be preserved at the Alameda Naval Air Museum located in the former Air Terminal Building #77 at Alameda Point. Our museum features archival materials, photographs and stories of the war workers of World War II up to the eventual closing of the base in 1997.This project was made possible by a grant for building upgrades from the Economic Development Agency and the city of Alameda. To date, some $750,000 worth of improvements have been made to Building #77 to meet all code requirements of the City of Alameda.Volunteers established the Alameda Naval Air Museum as an educational community center to tell the story of it\’s beginnings in support of the Pacific Fleet in World War II and it\’s subsequent decades of service to the nation during Korea, Vietnam and Desert Storm.Visitors can read historic newspapers, such as those published at Pearl Harbor, and have an opportunity to re-live the past. That is what history is all about. We are interested in acquiring and preserving documents that illustrate and celebrate the people and stories of the World War II years. Our collection includes artifacts, photographs, aircraft models, programs, guide books, flyers, documents, safety gear, medals, uniforms, badges and awards.The purpose of our museum is to preserve for the benefit and inspiration of future generations and to leave a historic legacy.Society and industry were changed forever by the sweeping impacts of the World War II build-up. For the first time, men, women and minorities worked together side by side. Services such as health insurance and child care were initiated in industry to improve worker\’s health, productivity and retention. Labor and government worked together to provide to the fleet overhauled aircraft and engines achieving unheard of production records.People moved here from all over the country in unprecedented numbers to seek industrial production jobs. This changed rural and urban America forever. The Air Station had 45,000 personnel at its peak in 1945 when the city of Alameda had only 25,000 residents. The base covered one-third of the island of Alameda.The museum volunteers host many visits of school children and other local and national groups so they can learn about Naval Aviation history and the valuable contributions made by the many generations of workers during the last half of the 20th Century. More than 250 skilled trades came together at NAS Alameda to create lasting records of top workmanship and professionalism.
The Air Force Armament Museum is the only museum in the world dedicated to the collection, preservation and exhibition of artifacts and memorabilia associated with Air Force Armament and its platforms of delivery.The museum was conceived and approved in 1974 but there was no suitable structure available on Eglin Air Force Base until 1976. In the spring of that year, an old Enlisted Club facility became available and the Armament Museum became a reality. To help fund and perpetuate this Museum, the Air Force Armament Museum Foundation (AFAMF), a philanthropic non-profit organization, was established.From 1976 through 1981, the artifact collection grew, and the Museum averaged nearly 80,000 visitors per year. But, in 1981, the building housing the Museum collection was condemned, and the Museum closed that October.The AFAM Foundation then began what became a lengthy effort to find a new home for the Armament Museum. After a slow start, funding effort began in 1984. By mid-1985, $1.2 million in private and corporate donations had been raised and construction of a new 28,000 square foot Museum was underway and in November of the same year, the new Museum was deeded to the United States Air Force and opened to the public.Admittance to the Museum is free of charge and the Museum is closed on Sundays and federal holidays. Over one million people have now visited and enjoyed this Museum. Numerous significant, military-related ceremonies such as promotions, reenlistments, retirements and meetings occur within the Museum each month. Visits by school, church and veterans groups are now almost daily occurrences and the Armament Museum has become an important educational, cultural and social landmark.
The Swift Museum Foundation was started by Charlie Nelson, our President, over 40 years ago with an ad in Trade-A-Plane to Swift owners inquiring about any interest in forming a type club. It started as the International Swift Association, grew and ten years later became the only type club to purchase the FAA Type Certificate for it’s aircraft. It also acquired with the Type Certificate the original factory tooling, the remaining parts inventory and the original manufacturing plans. This allows us to have FAA PMA parts manufactured to keep this great aircraft flying for the foreseeable future.
The Museum has four large floors devoted to the disciplines of art, history, natural history and science/technology. It houses both long-term exhibits and five changing exhibit galleries. On Oct. 29, 1988, the South Carolina State Museum opened its doors, bringing to the citizens of the Palmetto State the newest, and one of the finest, state museums in America. Since that day it has awed, delighted and enlightened millions of visitors. The State Museum has more than 70,000 artifacts in its collection, and it is still a very young institution. The State Museum is housed in its largest artifact, the former Columbia Mill. This former textile mill also is a world-first. When it opened in 1894, manufacturing cotton duck cloth (a canvas-like material), it was the first totally-electric textile mill in the world. It was also the first major industrial installation for the General Electric corporation. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The State Museum was voted one of the three top museums by Southeastern readers of Southern Living magazine, along with the High Museum in Atlanta and the Smithsonian Institution. The State Museum has been voted Best Museum in the Midlands five years in a row by Columbia Metropolitan magazine, and was designated Best Museum of 2007 by the readers of the Free Times newspaper.
Hangar 25 Air Museum is housed in a fully restored WWII era hangar. The mission of Hangar 25 Air Museum is to promote education through the collection, preservation and exhibition of the history of the Big Spring Army Air Force Bombardier School and Webb Air Force Base while honoring all veterans, past and present. Often our museum is staffed by retired veterans and civil service employees who are ready to share their memories of the hangar when it was a hub of activity, first, during WWII as a part of the Big Spring Bombardier School and later as a part of Webb Air Force Base, supporting the training of over 10,000 pilots from 1952 to 1977.Today, Hangar 25 Air Museum is very much a Big Spring, Texas community icon, focused on displaying the proud heritage of a great city and educating our fellow citizens of all ages, on the military traditions that have been such an important part of local history. We encourage anyone with a connection to Big Spring, Texas, or Big Spring AAF Bombardier School or Webb Air Force Base to visit and experience for yourself, the history, heritage, and the honor that is Hangar 25 Air Museum. Incidentally, since opening our doors in May of 1999, Hangar 25 Air Museum has hosted more than 41,000 visitors from all 50 states and over 30 foreign countries.
The Alfred & Lois Kelch Aviation Museum, Inc. is located at the Brodhead Airport (C37), near Brodhead, Wisconsin. Housed in four hangars, the museum contains a unique collection of aircraft and automobiles from the 1920’s and 1930’s, many of which are one-of-a-kind or sole surviving examples. All of the aircraft are fully restored and most are flyable.
This airport-museum-restaurant-in-one allows visitors to see and learn more about historic aircraft, take touring flights over the scenic mountains with experienced pilots and dine in comfort.
In the late 1990’s, a group of local military folks, agriculture pilots and international Warbird restorers were at the Fargo AirSho. After the show they realized there was a wealth of historic aircraft, knowledge and a passion for aviation, education and restoration. These folks included the late Gerry Beck, Robert Odegaard, Robert Miller, Darrol Schroeder, Alex Macdonald, Matt Butler, the late Warren Diederich and a few others. The founders developed the mission statement, developed a three-building long term plan and opened the museum’s first hangar in 2001. In 2008, the organization retired the debt on the first building and plans are now in play to build the next two buildings.
The Yanks Air Museum is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization. Yanks’ mission is to acquire, restore and preserve one of the world’s largest and rarest collections of American aircraft, their history and artifacts. Today aviator or not, many visitors and group tours are lured to Yanks Air Museum, where the Legends live on! Yanks’ houses the largest private collection of American WWII fighter, dive and torpedo bombers in the world. Every aircraft at Yanks Air Museum has a story to tell. Join us to discover America’s aviation history and the lore of flight. From the Wright Brothers’ 1903 Wright Flyer to the record-breaking F-106 Delta Dart, at Yanks you can see the entire sweep of American aviation!In addition to the aircraft there are many fascinating exhibits at to see, like the vast collection of 720 aircraft models built by Burt Taylor. Or visit the new Spacesuit, flight suit and uniform pavilion which house an impressive assembly of aviation related attire including items from record-breaking aviatrix Jackie Cochran. Even our extensive collection of drones and missiles are quite unique and tell of the discovery of Marilyn Monroe. Spend the day and explore Yanks’ Fightertown Saitek Simulator Center. Enter the cockpit of a genuine military simulator and take a flight with us. Suit up for your flight briefing and prepare for your mission. Immerse yourself in a real flight training exercise. Experience what jet pilots feel as you “fly” the simulator on a mission!
The Charlotte Airport hangar was erected in 1936-37 by the Works Progress Administration, better known as WPA, a program tied to the federal work program that served Charlotte during the Great Depression. The airport consisted of two buildings, an administration/terminal building, one hangar, a beacon tower, two 3000-foot runways and one 2500-foot runway.On May 17th 1938 Eastern Airlines flew the first commercial flight into Charlotte and in the airport\’s first year of operation six flights took off from Charlotte each day. Two years later, the airport was renamed Douglas Municipal Airport in honor of the mayor Ben E. Douglas who headed the movement to build it.In 1941, the Army Air Force took control of the airport and renamed it Morris Field in honor of Major William Colb Morris. Then in 1954 the airport was renamed Douglas Municipal Airport in honor of Mayor Ben Elbert Douglas.Charlotte Douglas Airport grew rapidly over the years but in 1991, the original hangar was scheduled to be torn down to make room for expansion. Floyd and Lois Wilson heard about the removal of the hangar and decided to step in to save the historical landmark. They organized a small group of aviation enthusiasts and formed the Carolinas Historical Aviation Commission (CHAC). Their vision – \”To preserve the past, present and future aviation history of North and South Carolina.\” Of course the logo reflected this vision.The organization acquired its first aircraft from the U.S. Army in 1992 – a North American T-28 Trojan.The T-28 was a trainer designed in 1949 to replace the T-6 Texan used during WWII. It was in production from about 1950 to 1957.Two years after the CHAC was formed, the old hangar officially became the new home of the Carolinas Aviation Museum.Due to the extension of the new taxiway in 2010, the hangar was moved and the museum was relocated to the new 40,000 square foot hangar on First Flight Drive.The original hangar is still part of the museum and can be seen across the runway from the new hangar. But it is currently used only for storage of some of the museum\’s aircraft.Stop by and see how the museum has evolved…with many of our displays under one roof.
The North Carolina Aviation Museum in Asheboro houses an extensive collection of aircraft and memorabilia in two different hangars. The museum also undertakes restoration efforts, and keeps aircraft in flightworthy condition.
Hundreds of thousands of Americans have served this country, giving of themselves for the eminent cause we call freedom. A legacy now exists that is comprised of those brave Americans, their heroic efforts and the continuing endeavors of U.S. soldiers. For over 40 years, the Don F. Pratt Museum has performed the important and honorable tasks of preserving this legacy and commemorating the patriotic men and women who have served at Fort Campbell, Kentucky.- Established in 1956 as the Division Museum for the 101st Airborne Division- Memorialized in honor of the first Assistant Division Commander for the 101st Airborne Division, Brigadier General Don F. Pratt- Located in the center of Fort Campbell Army Installation- The modest, 14,000 square ft. museum facility was converted from a 1960\’s era classroom and theater- There are currently fewer than 100,000 visitors to the Don F. Pratt Museum per year, mostly consisting of new troops in-processing to the installation and personnel attending official functions and receptions