The Brussels Aircraft Museum Restoration Society is nearing completion on the restoration project of de Havilland DH.89 Dragon Rapide R5922. The aircraft is being returned to the 1947 configuration and mint green livery it wore when it flew for the Lancashire Aircraft Corporation (LAC) as G-AKNV.
Originally built in 1939 for the RAF, this plane was first delivered to the Electrical and Wireless School at Yatesbury, Wiltshire, and later served with several other British military units.
The plane was released from military service in 1947 and was sold to LAC, before briefly flying in Ireland under the registration of El AGK. It then went to Fairey Aviation in 1955, and was stripped down and rebuilt with numerous modifications in 1958 by Avions Fairey Belgium. The plane was re-registered as 00 CNP in 1964, and was then used as a parachuting plane, but its flying career was ended by a forced landing in August, 1970. The craft then spent several years stored out in the open before being donated to the museum in 1973.
This restoration project, which started in 1992 is expected to restore this historically significant and unusually constructed plane to pristine condition.